• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dickydalton's Robert. E. Lee Commemorative Custom

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45D

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Dickydalton sent me this 2nd gen. and requested that I do "everything" to it. So, I thought with all the questions asked lately about springs, arbors and such that I'd do a pictorial of the job so folks could see and decide what they could do themselves. So, I'll add to this as I go and answer any questions along the way.

Here's the subject :
20240626_150808.jpg

It's in excellent condition with a high polish finish.
20240629_102715.jpg

First I'll modify the action parts as needed.

The bolt arms are the same thickness and "shortness". Ideally, the left arm (as installed . . . drivers side) needs to be strong in the vertical but "linguini" in the horizontal. The original parts were pretty much that way (Uberti's bolts are like the originals). Since this is a '70's revolver the left arm needs a lot of thinning!! I also lengthen the arm by cutting forward into the body ("long" bends easier than "short").

So here's stock-
20240626_171344.jpg

And here's "linguini".
20240626_174524.jpg

Another mod is putting an angle towards the OUTSIDE of the rear "vertical pad" that rides in a groove put in the hammer cam. That ensures the bolt arm stays "on" the cam and can't slide off the side to start degrading the cam.
Here's the arm angle -
20240629_131027.jpg

Here's the cam angle -
20240629_114627.jpg

Ok, as for the other end of the bolt (the ball end or head), I understood what Bob Munden was doing by cutting a "step" in the head and basically making a 2-step head. As the first step clears the cyl notch that's appearing above it, it rises into the notch guaranteeing there wont be any throw- by as the second step rides the notch through till lockup. The problem with that is, the "stepping" eventually degrades the edge of the notch which causes other problems. My solution was to make a "slide" on the top of the head so that there is no "dropping" on the edge of the notch.
20240629_130410.jpg

So now you get no throw-by and it's easy on the notch.

The other "notch saving" mod is a cutaway on the tall side of the bolt. The very top of the bolt head is of course fitted to the cyl notches. That part of the head will be completely inside the notch at lockup. What I do is relieve the "side" of the tall side that isn't inside the notch plus maybe about 1/4th. That ensures that no contact will be made on the edge of the notch . . . no matter the clearance that exists.
Here's a pic -

20240629_130502.jpg

So now, you have a "race" bolt that actually protects your cylinder notches.

Anyway, here's a bottom view of the "longer arm" . It's polished now ,sorry about the glare.

20240629_203001.jpg

Most of the time the hammer roller looses contact with the main spring . . . . especially if the spring has a track for it. The problem is the roller is buried too deep and the "cheeks" will contact the spring instead of the roller.

20240630_144149.jpg

Notice the top hammers roller is barely visible compared to the lower hammer. Roller removal is necessary to reduce the cheeks and when reinstalled, I like to "stake" or trap the now shorter roller pin in place.

Last edited:
Back