• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Different Flintlock "Styles"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point. If a rifle fits, it will mount sighted even with your eyes closed. For a hunting rifle (or all around rifle) , you can't beat a swamped barrel, IMO. For targets you can't beat a straight and more or less muzzle heavy barrel. Either, however, shoot best when they are mounted and fired in one smooth motion, just as you said.

redwing said:
What do you call those rifles, with what you call a 6" blobe on each end?

A Blobbed barrel? :idunno:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...OK, so I could, but didn't. :v

Merry Christmass, and God bless

Hey there Tader Vic. To answer your question: if most of the original SMR's were swamped, then why are they all sold with straight barrels and/or inletted stocks not available for a swamped barrel option - without going totally custom ?
It's all a matter of the manufacturing technology in use at the time. Way back then they created and sold what their available technology made practical. Same thing today as then.
Ever wonder why they didn't make round barrels and translate that weight of iron into useable barrel length? Look to the manufacturing location. Folks generally did the best they could with what they had.

Back