• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you prefer percussion?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of depends on my mood.

I have two custom rifles, a .54 Hawken and a .40 S. Mountain Rifle. I can't say I like one anymore than the other.

DoubleDeuce 1 said:
Percussion, only because that is what I currently own. Flintlock... jury is still out on that.

What he said. Although I just got a flinter so will be testing it in a cpl weeks and let you know.

Rev_William said:
DoubleDeuce 1 said:
Percussion, only because that is what I currently own. Flintlock... jury is still out on that.

What he said. Although I just got a flinter so will be testing it in a cpl weeks and let you know.

This is kind of how I was. I have a CVA flinter now. First time I shot it i got the "pfffffff" of the flash pan instead of the "snap" of the cap.

Other than that it was the same. For now, I don't get flint. But I love my capper.

Maybe I just need to spend more time with ole' CVA, then it will come to me.

Thanks

I'm new to this.
I picked up a used percussion .54 GPR at Friendship on my first visit this year and since it's my only ML, it's my favorite. Who knows what's down the road.

I shoot percussion guns better; probably because of the faster lock time. That being said, flintlocks are fun.

My most prized possesion is my handmade flintlock. It is the most fun gun I have. I think percussion guns are easier to clean, and in inclement weather, more reliable.

I'm coming to understand that a proper flint that sparks well, using good 4F flash powder is not that much different than a percussion gun, i.e. a "pffffffffftttt....bang" gun is not performing up to snuff. Should be more of a "pfft-bang."

Percussion guns are (in an evolutionary sense) very close to modern cartridge firearms. So in that sense, I prefer flints for when I really want to be old timey.

Have a yellow boy winchester, kentucky percussion from pedersoli and some hanguns. Then I bought a pedersoli frontier with a nice maple stock, in percussion ... A friend kept saying that I should try a flintlock. On a certain time I was a bit bored with percussion shooting so I changed the frontier into a flintlock. I could always go back if I didn't like it! Well - I got hooked and never looked back ... still have the percussion lock but ...

Well color me different. I much prefer a percussion to a flinter. I have & shoot both, but when crunch time & hunting season rolls around I grab a cap-smacker every time.
It seems like there is a lot less to go wrong with a percussion. The times I have hunted with the rocklock I seem to spend half my time checking the prime, replacing the prime or worrying about the prime.
Last season I loaded Thumpy (my .54 GPR) on the opening day of season, capped it & never got a shot until halfway through rifle season. Guess what.....it went bang, exactly as I knew it would, with the same cap I'd put on there 7 weeks earlier.
For range shooting, I just find the capper quicker to shoot in the relays, more accurate at longer range & 100 times more reliable.

robtattoo said:
Well color me different. I much prefer a percussion to a flinter. I have & shoot both, but when crunch time & hunting season rolls around I grab a cap-smacker every time.

If my dinner depended on my shooting, I'd drop the flint and my percussion gun would be in my hands before the flint hit the floor.

But when its just for fun, I like a flint pretty good.

I discovered flintlocks early in 2003, started hunting with them in 2004 and fell in love with them. Sold all my percussions off soon after. Have hunted exclusively with them ever since.

I prefer my flinters. Shooting them is just more relaxing. I do have a percussion squirrel rifle just because everybody should have at least one capper.

I have both flint and percussion ignition firearms. I enjoy shooting the flintlocks more. Percussion ignition obviously has a slight advantage. Look at the military ski jaeger rifles that have been converted to percussion etc. It kind of kills the visual effect but some conversions look nice. I like the percussion German locks that still have the flashpan and the mainspring is used with a safety nipple cover. They are nice looking to me. I have even seen some wheellocks converted to percussion. They are still historcally correct but in a later time frame. It shows progression of history in a way. To each his own I guess. I used to not like conversion locks at all but now I have an open mind.

Remember that the percussion era was relatively short compared to the time span of matchlocks, wheellocks, and (flintlocks). Percussion locks are traditional none the less. I find it rather silly that some shun them with such vigor. :confused:

cynthialee said:
jerem0621 said:
I would say that a lot of us prefer the front stuffer over modern guns, we sought out and found a traditional ML forum...
Thanks!

Actually I only joined because out of all the related forums I kept coming across when I was goggleing questions the guys here seemed the best educated shooters and I needed some questions answered.

Then I started to become converted. To the point I have been geting rid of my supository guns and plan on only having muzzel loaders as soon as I have got rid of the modern ones, with the exception of a really old bolt action .22 LR. But that is my chicken slaughtering gun. Just seems shooting a chicken with a .44, .490, or a .530 round ball is over the top and over kill. :haha:

You just have to make a game out of it.
Tether the chickens behind a log that completly hides them unless they stick their heads up.
You then have to make some sound that will cause them to raise their heads. The trick is to take their heads off before they duck back down. Great way to improve your snap shooting although it may cut down on how much chicken you eat on any given day.

Latest posts

Back