• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

does caliber really matter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

running horse

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I currently have a percussion Hawkins and it works great but I am now looking at building a flint lock smooth bore and want to know you're opinions on caliber/Gauge you would recommend it has to be at least 50 cal to hunt big game in this state but I would like something that would work on game as small as quail and squirrels on up to moose and grizzlies I understand loads make a big difference but what are your thoughts.

Thanks every one

You'll probably get more answers in the smoothbore section if you are thinking of getting a smoothie. I think the 20 gauge (.62) is the best all around bore size, you can throw a large enough ball to take a moose and is also great for shot for partridge and other smaller game. You will also be saving on lead costs over say, a .75 Bess. I wouldn't go any smaller than .62, not if you plan on taking large game with ball anyways, though I'm sure it can be done.

What kind of smoothie are you thinking of anyways? What game will you be wanting to take? Or are you just looking to punch paper? Will you be using shot or ball, or both? Answering these will better help you decide what you should be looking at, when it comes down to it though, choose whatever feels best to YOU.

I'd agree that a 20 gauge/.62 is the way to go. Lots of versatility for loads and 90 grains and a ball have taken two buffalo that I know if...figure that ought to do the trick! :wink: :thumbsup:

Well, if you are going to tackle a Grizzly, a Barrett .50 would be a comfort, I'm not sure I'd want to tackle one of those with anything that only has one shot. Lewis and Clark certainly learned to leave them alone.

Otherwise, a 20 gauge ball will handle almost anything you come across. If you are going after Moose a 12 gauge ball might be a better idea. I don't think you would want to shoot anything smaller than a 28 gauge/54 caliber in a smoothbore if you really want a useful gun. A .50 just doesn't throw enough shot to be useful against anything bigger than a squirrel.

It's pretty much up to you.

A .54 smooth rifle is probably the most accurate round ball shooter if you happen to be a competitive shooter, but the shot column is pretty small.

A 12 gauge shotgun will kill anything that flies, but it can get abusive if you are shooting roundball unless you have a cheap supply of lead and can get black powder easily.

The 20 gauge and the often ignored 16 gauge make a pretty good middle of the road choice.

smooth bore

Should be in smoothie forum.
This is one of those questions that can only be answered by saying "get what you want".
The 20 ga./.62 cal. is very popular because it holds enough shot for most wing and small game hunting and the ball has enuf knock out power for big game, up to grizzly which take suppository stuff for humane hunting.
If shopping for a complete gun you will probably find more 20s than any other available.

"One gun does all" wouldn't apply to the varied sized game you mentioned. At least 2 guns would be suitable. Don't think even "super gun" would do the job. ......Fred

I don't plan on looking for grizzlies any time soon but depending on where I go I may come across one accidentally same with moose, can't hunt them yet in this part of the state but there is a good chance of running into one. I know there is no super gun that will do it all but I am looking for the most versatile gun I can at the moment until I can acquire something better. Probably won't go after birds for a wile either but it would be nice to have the option. Thanks for your help

Many Klatch said:
If you are going after Moose a 12 gauge ball might be a better idea.

Nah. Probably more killed up here with 54 cal than any other RB. A 62 would be "plenty big medicine" for moose.

I'd have trouble picking between 62 and 69 however, for the simple considerations of weight and balance. A 62 cal barrel with the same outside diameter is going to be heavier, and more muzzle-heavy, than a 69 with the same OD. Same considerations for a 72 really, though as you go up the caliber scale past 62, the recoil mounts quickly with reductions in weight.

And of course, to get comparable RB trajectories, velocity/recoil become issues as you go up the scale. I have a lighter 62 cal rifle that eats your lunch by the time you get that heavy ball moving fast enough to be as flat shooting as a 58. I don't even want to watch someone uncork it with enough powder to make it shoot as flat as a 54. It only gets worse in going to a 69 or 72. I can honestly call my 72 a 50 yard gun without regard for group size, simply because I can't shoot it with enough powder to flatten the trajectory to my specs for a 100 yard shot.

On the other hand, as you drop below 62 your performance and options with shot drop quickly. I find it really easy to get great patterns with 1 1/4 oz of shot from a cylinder bore 12 than my cylinder bore 20. Almost any combo I stuff down the 12 bore with 1 1/4 oz of shot will shoot well, while I have to really work to get comparable patterns from a 20 with such a "heavy" charge. It only gets worse with heavier shot charges.

colorado clyde said:
...remember Timothy Treadwell?

Your average turnip has more common sense about bears than Timmy. He was on a mission to make a name for himself, and he sure succeeded. Sad to say he got his fiance and two bears killed in the process.

Timmy is to muzzleloader hunting as politicians are to honesty.

One more vote for the .62/20ga. It will work for anything from squirrels and birds to big game such as elk or a bear. :thumbsup:

I guess Colorado Clydes idea of a bayonet is not a bad one......think shish kabob. :haha:

Bayonet?? Squirrel cooker, perhaps, but if griz is hot on my tail, I think I would use the bayonet on my gun as a pole vault instrument, to get into very tall trees.
Using a klatch lock on griz is asking to get chewed on :(
Fred

Das würde einen Bären nicht töten, weil es nur ein Krachmacher.

Yeah, I'm just showing off. :haha: :haha: What I said is that it wouldn't kill a bear because it is just a noisemaker. :hatsoff:

To Wes/Tex,
Now that sucker with two hundred grains of 2F and a 1/4 pound ball would slow down ol'e griz, or cook him on the spot!
It would not be a good situation, looking down from your tree stand, and pointing that pop gun downwards, and have your ball roll out the barrel :shocked2:
Fred

Old Ford said:
and have your ball roll out the barrel....

Kind of like the time I loaded my Bess with about 2 cups of red/white/blue confetti when a bud asked to shoot it. I had planned to try the load anyway, and couldn't resist when he walked back into the bushes for a personal moment while I was loading.

You talk about a July 4 salute!!!!! We still get the uncontrollable giggles every time someone mentions it. :rotf:

Atta boy! About as daffy as my use of pink Easterbasket grass for parade wadding! Yee-hah~~

Back