• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ever see one of these?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this rifle hanging in the Adirondack Experience,( museum), in Blue Mtn Lake in upstate NY. Double shotter
IMG_1368.jpeg
IMG_1367.jpeg
IMG_1369.jpeg
! Two charges in one barrel! Who ever thought this one up was a genius. Worth the trip, lots of guns on display.

Those are pretty cool. First one I saw was on here I believe and it was a double mule ear.

Hi,
The idea goes back to at least the 17th maybe even 16th centuries. It worked as long as you loaded correctly. Many gunsmiths in both Europe and America played with the concept.

dave

Even the US military played with the idea including the 4 shot Ellis Repeating rifle from the 1820's. Picture a M1817 Common Rifle with a crazy breech section and a sliding lock. The Lindsey Rifle Musket was a two shot musket from the Civil War. Neither were popular or accepted for use.

Bet it was interestin'' if you fired that back load first.

Actually that would probably simply have lobbed a bunch of powder and an extra projectile out, but IF you fired the forward load, and the seal was wrong between that and the rear load, that might be spectacular.

LD

I’m talkin’ about your shoulder and your cheek might have found it to be more excitement than they’d like.

Regretfully passed on this one a few years ago.
No doubt the compression from recoil of the front load, caused the rear load to detonate on occasion was probably its demise.
They’re cool nonetheless.
Thanks for sharing.

IMG_0173.jpeg

I'm excited to be getting this one eventually. I bought it at an auction in Portugal and the shipper can't ship directly to the US (I don't know why, can't get them to ship directly from France either). So it's going to Brussels. Belgium doesn't mind shipping antiques to the US. It is expensive having to do it this way but where else am I going to find one lol

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-03 141629.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-03 141629.png
    347.6 KB · Views: 0
Back