• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fake stripes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger zavoda

36 Cal.
Reaction score
:thumbsup: i tried a whole bunch a stuff i had some old maple laying around so i tride dyes and inks water colors finaly hit a good thing. felt tip pens, they come in all colors . i did mine on my leman rifle if i could show you a pic. i would. but i dont know how to do it on this dang thing. but its great.first stain the gun the way you want it then look real close on some pic. in muzzle blast and just draw it on , but remember to carry all around to the other side of the gun. really looks nice if you cordinate the colors then go over the whole gun with tru-oil. looks greate

roger

That makes sense. I had thought that those Minwax stain pens for touch ups might work too, but your way might be cheaper.

There's a fella close to us in Missouri that does a real bang up job on fake stripes. He first strips the stock of all compotent parts then wraps the stock with wire where he wants the wood to be light, then LIGHTLY burns the wood with a torch,steel wool,stain,tru-oil and wa-la. Even with looking close it's hard to tell it's fake.

The original Lancaster guns that I've seen with faux curl all appear to be painted on, not burned. Jack Brooks has done a fine job of recreating this from studying original Lemans. You may want to contact him and inquire about his methods. You can find his contact info on the CLA web site.

Sean

Back