• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite rifle builder today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would choose Michael S. Brooks of Davenport Iowa. He is simply the best. Mike has the expertise, skill and determination to do the job right. I have had eight guns built by him, each one is a working piece of art. He is my friend as well.

For a Revolutionary War-era Pennsylvania or Virginia rifle I would talk to Richard Sullivan of Williamsburg, VA. I've had the pleasure to behold his work. Gorgeous and awesome come to mind. Period correct incise and relief carving, silver wire inlays, all done with traditional methods and tools. Believe Richard trained under Wallace Gussler.

For a southern mountain rifle, I have commissioned a .54 flintlock to be built by Roger Sells of Monterey, TN. Roger's been building 'em for over 25 years. He has studied countless originals and watched some of the old timers at work. Am very pleased with the little slim, trim .36 walnut-stocked flintlock I just purchased from him, which he built about 25 years ago. Can't wait for the .54 to be completed.

My favorite is definately Ron Elhert........ He has built some rifles that are simply outstanding & always unique.
He had a brass barreled Jaeger rifle at Friendship for several years & every time I looked at the rifle I found something unique & different.
His workmanship is simply a marvel to admire at & appreciate.

:thumbsup:

For me it's not the builder but the type of gun. I've seen the work of many artisans and all are far beyond my meagre skill. Personally, I like jaegers and if either Ron Ehlert or Ron Scott sent me one for Christmas, I wouldn't complain.

Does this mean you're paying for custom guns for everyone? :winking:

I think I would get a Berks County in .45 cal with a curly ash stock, done by a friend of mines grandfather, whose name I completely forget. But, he does everything the traditional way.

I would be torn between the work of friends Allen Martin, and Dave Dodds. Both have what I would call "soul" in their work. Their finishes have a warm used look. Their architecture, and carving are superb.

Been there, done that, got the rifle in my closet.

Rod Gates of Missouri. Because he builds one fine rifle at a reasonable price a working man can afford. That reminds me, I've been thinking maybe I ought to post a few photos of Ol' Melindy.

Cruzatte

Bought a rifle by Roger Sells (50 cal Southern Mt Rifle) awhile back off the internet (not usually a smart move)w/a 3 day inspection period. Totaly dissambled and cleaned it. Hope his guns today are half a good ad the one I got!! A true master :master:

If you were to have a Kentucky rifle built for you by any of today's gunsmiths, who would you choose and why? :hmm:

I would have to say my father Jon Laubach. I would want a totally hand made rifle.
Here is one of the many totally hand made rifles by him just using 18th century practices.

Chris thats one beutiful rifle I Didnt know your Dad built rifles from scratch the real old way !! How long does it take him ? :front:

Zonie.

Something in a .32 or .36 cal flinter, but we'd probably never come to an agreement on the inlays. I'd want a couple . . . he'd want a couple dozen. ::
BOYS.jpg

Stumpy, now dad burn it! This lil .36 ain't got that mani o them lil inletties on it!

Tha way som folks talk aroun har, thay thin ole Zonie lives bi tha "iff it don't go, chrome it" he uster thin whan he war jus a kid. :: ::

Latest posts

Back