• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally got my T/C Cougar hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountry

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Got it for a steal from a guy who's father died and he didn't like guns. Got it for 100 dollars. But the ramrod was missing and the wedge. Got to find myself a silver wedge now. Going to call T/c on Monday.

BC:
Thats a Sweeeeet deal! You don't see many cougars. My friend has one and I don't even know if he has shot it.
Nit Wit :thumbsup:

Its a very handsome ML. Even my girlfriend was impressed by it and she usually could care less.

Dad gonit, I was cleanin it up and found two spots that are pitted bad. I guess still 100 dollars you can't complain. I took the surface rust off with 0000 steel wool and heavy gun oil.

Its a very handsome ML. Even my girlfriend was impressed by it and she usually could care less.

FYI, I converted a .45cal Cougar to a Flintlock...installed a stainless Flint lock normally used on the TC Firestorm, a .45cal TC round ball barrel from Fox Ridge, and a strong stainless ramrod from October Country.
1316428111904-.45calFlintlock6pointer800pixels.jpg

Track of the Wolf has a very large assortment of wedge keys, including keys specifically for T/C rifles. They even have one that is polished steel, which would work in your case I'm sure. Here's a link with three pages of them. You might want to consider a brass key too... a brass key on a silver escutcheon would look sharp, I'm thinking. :thumbsup:
Wedge Keys on Track of the Wolf

Nice rifle, but i thought Jackalopes were on the endangered list. :crackup:

The poor family out in the country that had him for groceries sure didn't mind...last week of the season, had a tag left, was buck hunting with a .45cal flintlock...A+B+C...you do the math.
::

Was just joshin' ya, we got some that size around here where i live now. Before we moved here last summer, i was used to hunting the eastern Oregon mule deer, which are about three times the size of the ones around here. ::

Roundball, could you give me the length of you ramrod? Could you recommend I stay with the the wood ram, or something else? Also how much work to change over to flint?

Roundball, could you give me the length of you ramrod? Could you recommend I stay with the the wood ram, or something else? Also how much work to change over to flint?

They take the standard length TC Hawken rod...think it's 28+3/4" but I can check/measure one tonight;

Personal opinion is that since the big plant fire when TC lost their special resin impregnating process for their wooden ramrods, their ramrods since then are too cheap and dangerous to use...for looks only...no stronger than a hardware store dowl and I always replace them immediately.

I first replaced the wooden ones on my Cougars with TC's upgrades which were black polymer covered fiberglass with stainless tips to match the Cougar furniture;

Then shortly thereafter I replaced those with solid stainless rods for extra weight out front to help with offhand accuracy.

So my personal first choice is the solid stainless as I like the extra weight(and I use a lightweight plastic muzzle guide from Builders Supply with it) followed by TC's polymer covered Cougar rod.

I've converted a few percussion to flint now...the flint and percussion locks are the same size physically and fit the same general lock mortise, just have to relieve a couple of spots alongside the pan and the fence on the flint version...it's very minor (30-60 minutes) of fiddling with it using a very small wood chisel and/or dremel tool, etc...just be patient and don't get in a hurry. (I learned to do it and I can't cut a straight line across a 2x4!)

Could you recommend I stay with the the wood ram, or something else?

I'm with Roundball, the T/C wooden rods available "post custom shop fire" are very lame and likely not even as good as a hardware store dowel.

I'm also a big fan of using a bore guide.

I've got some of T/C's solid black anodized aluminum rods which are really quite tough and work well.

I've made a couple of solid brass rods which I like very well and add extra weight. All of my range rods are brass.

These hickory rods from the possibles shop are pretty nice. I've got three of them. You will need to cut to length and attach a taper fitting for jags if you like but they are really good quality and come with a Treso loading tip. I'm working on one with a zebra stripe using a dark stain.

Yours is 3/8" 10/32 rod.
http://www.possibleshop.com/ramrod.htm

Double checked it, the TC Hawken ramrod is 28+3/4" finished length

I'm sitting here with a TC Hawken ramrod in my lap.
Well, it isn't in my hand cause I can't type when my hands are holding something. ::
Anyway, this ramrod is a original, that came with a .50 cal rifle which was made back in the late 80s or early 90s.

The grain starts out on one side of the rod, and travels completely thru to the other side in 6 3/8 inches one place, and 5 3/4 in another place.
There are 10 individual places where the grain breaks out the side of the rod, these occuring about every 2 3/4 inches.

What this means is there are 10 different weak places for the rod to break along a grain line.
If it does break that way, it will form a pointed wooden dagger which is fully capable of going thru your hand, or into your forearm.

TC is not the only company which has ramrods like this.
Check your ramrod looking for the telltail wood grain that looks like it's stopping when it reaches the side.
ramrodgrain1.jpg

I'm sitting here with a TC Hawken ramrod in my lap.
Well, it isn't in my hand cause I can't type when my hands are holding something.

Zonie,

Should we be concerned about the above? :crackup:

Jim.

When I was about 13 I saw my Dad break a wooden ramrod while loading a renegade. It broke along the grain exactly as you describe and left a deep 4 inch gash in his forearm.

When I am hunting I replace my wooden ramrod with an aluminum one. I know it's not PC, but it gives me one less thing to worry about.

Shot a deer and I went to reload and the ramrod broke in my hand...sliced up my middle finger very good,had to get my buddy to gut the deer. No more wooden ramrods in my hunting rifles.

Sam Fadala said you can soak them in coal oil and it makes them more flexible. Of course, where do you get coal oil and won't it smell like a kerosene lamp? I've got to buy or make a rod for a Kodiak double in .54 as the one I bought was missing it. If wood, it will probably be hickory. I will use locust if I can find it. For the range, guess I will get something more modern.

Back