• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first GPR cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincaveman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What should I use for the first cleaning of my new GPR? I usually only use hot water to clean my rifles, but I was wondering if some kind of solvent was needed to clean up Lymans packing grease?

Josh

Yup. Kerosene or parts cleaner in a mechanic's shop. Parts cleaner is kerosene based with some detergent chemistry added. Find you a good small engine mechanic and become a friend. It will pay off! :thumbsup:
Moose

Anything sufficiently dissolving will work. I think I used Simple Green cleaner at 100% with a thin piece of pulled apart 0000 steel wool on an undersized jag. That requires a tiny bit of elbow grease as opposed to using some industrial strength toxin. I don't like highly toxic stuff that has to be carefully disposed of - and smells bad to boot (although Simple Green is strictly an acquired taste as far as smells go...).

Also - don't know if Lyman is still shipping a free bottle of Butch's Bore Shine with each rifle. I spoke to Lyman and they said it would be good for the initial preservative removal. I saved mine because the bottle said the military uses it for cleaning Miniguns, and...well...Ya never know...

Bonne Chance !

thanks fellas. I forgot about the bore shine that came with it. I also have some brake cleaner laying around somewhere.

Josh

I plug the nipple threads and let some mineral spirits soak in the barrel overnight. Makes it easy to scrub out the coating the next day.

I'm spoiled to use a parts cleaner in a shop, then I spray some brake cleaner in it and then use dawn dish soap & water to take all of those residues off

Yep, Bore Shine and then hot soapy water cleaning and then light oiling.

Mike

Back