• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First hunting season using only BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpjson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Sunday was the last day of general hunting season in Montana. It starts in late October. This was my first season using only a muzzleloader. :grin: Opening day I got my first muzzleloader deer. :v One shot. I was as proud as I was 50 years ago with my first deer. Next few weeks I saw several elk, but nothing legal and a couple of deer. Last few weeks not even a track. :cursing: I hunt because I enjoy being out in the wilderness, getting game is just gravy. How do most folks feel? :confused: Is it all that important to fill a tag to have a successful hunting season?

Nope, getting one isn't necessary for a successful hunting season. It is nice tho.

We do require a picture when you do get one. Especially if it's your first muzzleloader deer. :photoSmile:

I will try to download a photo. I have not had real good luck with photos here. :surrender: OK how do I add a photo? Is there a simple way to pick it up off of my desktop or do I have to use photobucket, which has me so confused I cannot find anything I want?

You can't put it on here directly from your computer. First it has to go on a photo-hosting site. Photobucket is just one of many.

OK, that does not look very good does it. I'm tired.

I stopped worrying about how many deer I kill a while back. The last few years, life has been running away with me and I've counted it as a successful hunting season if I make it out into the woods for a few hours.

You wrote: "I was as proud as I was 50 years ago with my first deer." One of the reasons, and one of the best imho, why we hunt with traditional muzzleloaders. Congratulations! A fine buck!

Congrats. I applaud your decision. A filled tag can mean a successful hunting season if you are depending on that venison to fill your belly.

Jeff

No kids at home anymore, just me and my wife. She doesn't eat a whole lot of meat, so I am pretty much the only one to feed. I got this deer opening day, which really takes the pressure off. But, if I were to fill all my tags the first day I would have to tell my wife that I just want to go out and wander around the wilderness for the weekend.

Congrats on a nice buck, and I can only speak for myself, but hunting with a traditional muzzleloader makes the experience a lot more rewarding. Since I gave up using a modern gun for deer hunting I have become a much better hunter, I am very careful of the shot, I pay more attention to the surroundings, wind, my equipment and I think I respect the deer more.

Filling a tag is nice, but I enjoy watching dawn break, with the birds and squirrels waking up and making all sorts of noise, or the sun setting and the woods quieting down; scoring is nice, but just getting into the woods is, for me, a reward in itself.

Actually it is a buck. What we call a 2 point, others call a 4 point or 2x2. The antlers to not show very well in this picture. The ears are pointing out to the side and the antlers are pointing to the camera. A .50 cal T/C Hawken my father left me almost 30 years ago.

Latest posts

Back