• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Rifle Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coltsmoke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to build a flintlock so I thought I would restock a TC kit I put together back in the early 80's. I replaced the barrel with a GM barrel and had to cut some dovetails. I used Acqua Fortis and made some alcohol based stain, then finished up with Truoil. I had to rework all the brass to fit. This was my first attempt at carving and wire inlay. How did I do?

FinishedHawkens014.jpg

FinishedHawkens013.jpg

FinishedHawkens012.jpg

FinishedHawkens011.jpg

FinishedHawkens010.jpg

FinishedHawkens009.jpg

FinishedHawkens008.jpg

FinishedHawkens007.jpg

FinishedHawkens006.jpg

FinishedHawkens005.jpg

FinishedHawkens004.jpg

FinishedHawkens003.jpg

FinishedHawkens002.jpg

FinishedHawkens001.jpg

Coltsmoke said:
I want to build a flintlock ...How did I do?

Well, you missed the boat completely! That there is a caplock - and quite a beautiful one at that!

Coltsmoke said:
... This was my first attempt at carving and wire inlay. How did I do?

:shocked2: :thumbsup: :shocked2:

If this is your first attempt then I´m really eager to see the second attempt. And the third, fourth,...
You did great! :applause:

romeoh said:
Coltsmoke said:
... This was my first attempt at carving and wire inlay. How did I do?

:shocked2: :thumbsup: :shocked2:

If this is your first attempt then I´m really eager to see the second attempt. And the third, fourth,...
You did great! :applause:

:thumbsup: I agree. Looks like a fine start.

If you ever wander up Dahlonega way let me know. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, I had a lot of fun and learned a lot from you guys on this forum. Haven't decided yet on the next project, a flintlock of some sort.

Hi Roy, would like to visit, but I would probally drive you crazy with questions.

My only criticism on an otherwise great job in rebuilding that T/C is in the screws.....UNLESS they are polished steel and reflecting the brass color. If they are brass, I would replace them with oval head steel screws. If they are steel, then I would fire blue them. Just my preference. :thumbsup:

Coltsmoke said:
Hi Roy, would like to visit, but I would probally drive you crazy with questions.
:haha: already been there... aint too bad :grin:

You did good, real good, especially for a first attempt.

The only suggestion I can make to improve the look of the gun is to make the lock panels narrower.
They seem kinda bulky, but otherwise, very nice job.

WOW!!! You did an outstanding job turning a kit gun into something truly your own. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I think you did an outstanding job all around! I was just really enjoying the finish, the nice wood, the carvings, the wirework, etc., when I got down to the pictures with the patchbox area. I just went "WOW!". I hope I can do half that good when I give wirework and carving a try.

Thanks a lot guys, I'm looking forward to starting a flintlock. It is a good feeling when the project is finished and it is time to bring it to life.

Latest posts

Back