• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First smokepole piggy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would up the powder charge for bigger pigs. what is the rifling twist ,if it is 1/48 you could use aconical bullet . like a maxi ball etc

The twist is 1/60 and figured RB was it. I did try maxi-hunters with poor results in the past. Yesterday I tried buffalo bullets and hornady conical and they showed promising results. Just a little more drop. I know it's not meant to take them, but against pigs, I feel under-gunned. I am looking forward to getting a new(to me) 20g sxs worked out for RB and turkey shot.

relicshunter said:
Yes it is. It shots good, I am just not sure how much of a hog I can drop with it.

Nice lookin' Hog ya got there!

As to your question about what a .440 ball can do:

Last April I harvested a 280 pound sow with a .456 conical fired from an Uberti Colt Walker loaded with a 52 grain charge of regular 3Fg Goex. So I would test your .440 ball with around 15 grains more 777 to go after a bigger beastie, lol!

Dave

Way to go, relicshunter! Hunting hogs with a muzzleloader is definitely fun, and can be quite challenging (as you pointed out). In my experience, bigger is better when it comes to the larger hogs; a substantial sidearm is also a good idea.

Thanks for the info, I recently acquired a Sears Kentucky rifle in 45 cal that would be a match for yours except it has a patch box were your sling attaches. Still experimenting with ball size and powder charge. Great job you did thanks again. :hatsoff:

Back