• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FIXED SIGHTS ON RIFLES

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanadan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been changing out my adjustable sights to fixed sights. I just like the fixed ones better, and more choices to sight styles. Is it better to have taller front and rear sights?(I was thinking-I should know better) Taller sights=less inference from heat waves off the barrel? I would appreciate your thoughts and ideas on this.Respectfully Montanadan. P.S. Just for target shooting.

Mostly personal preference, but here's some thoughts.

A sight closer to the bore is better for small-game hunting or other small targets and uncontrolled close ranges.

Barrel mirage is less with taller sights, as you noted.

For long range work, a taller sight is better (hard to aim at a target or critter blocked from view by the barrel).

Taller sights are more vulnerable to damage.

In general: Lower for hunting, taller for target.

There's also the question of stock fit and shooting speed. You'll throw your shots high if you raise your head at all while shooting, whether from a flinch, from trying to see the front sight or game better, or because your head isn't steady against the stock. You want sights that lign up instantly right in front of your eyes when you throw the gun up into a natural position, rather than having to search for them.

Try this to determine if you need higher or lower sights on a particular gun: Close your eyes and throw the gun up like you were going to take a quick shot. Now open your eyes. Where are the sights? You just decided whether you need high or low sights on that gun.

BROWNBEAR and STUMPKILLER- Thanks for responding,Brownbear I think I need install taller rear sight on my 50. I did eyes closed test, I flunked miserably. Thanks again...Respectfully Montanadan..

Putting a taller rear sight on your rifle will make it shoot high. Better change both, by the same amount. :imo:

SLAMFIRE-Thanks I was going to build the front sight back up. Kind of like starting over, it is O.K.,Live and learn,thanks to everyone here makes it a LOT EASIER. Respectfully Montanadan

I tried the experiment of shouldering my rifle with my eyes closed and it works. The only problem is, the sights don't line up. The front sight comes in slightly high. Now I could raise the rear sight but of course then the gun would shoot high and then I would have to raise the front sight again to bring the shot placement down. So I'm thinking that experiment works great only if the sights fall into perfect plane with each other. What I am really facing now is building a stock with a little more comb drop I suppose to bring my eye into alignment with the sights. Ah well, it's always something I guess. Hank

Aviator- I just finished cutting the "Comb" down on my stock for the second time. My Penn. rifle, looks like a Pedersoli Frontier, not that I think that is bad. I still think I am going to install a taller rear sight, and build the front sight back up. My comb was so bad , with heavy charges(80grns or more) the bone that supports your eyes,(actually the eye socket sits inside this bone) would really start aching. Sounds kind of stupid, but it is the truth. I am a lefty, so the cheek pad , is on the wrong side. Thanks..good shooting..Respectfully Montanadan

I think you need to put the sights on, then shoot it. Some timesyou can only file down the rear sight down so far( as the gun is shootung high), then you need a higher front sight, I have this dilema on a Caywood >54 flinter.
Nit Wit :shocking:

Ray Hamilton- Thanks, I am currently looking at rear sights, front sight I can build back up. The rear sight definitly needs to be taller, for me any way.. Thanks Respectfully Montanadan

Back