• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flat Face Locks on Northwest Gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I own a NWTG made off a Pecatonia kit and it has a flat-faced “trade gun” lock made by L&R:

2E532C94-3FA0-42A2-9D22-78487F10A237.jpeg

I really like this gun but unfortunately I’ve recently learned these guns should have round-faced locks to be period correct.

I’m disappointed for sure and am just curious how hard it would be to change to a proper round face lock? I wonder if L&R offers such a lock that would be more or less a drop in fit?

Has anyone ever seen or heard of an original NWTG with a flat faced lock?

Thank you all for the help in advance.

-Smokey

That lock looks to be of a style seen in the last quarter of the 1700s. I see a Barnett NWTG from 1812 with a sporting lock with a flat plate in The Encyclopedia of Trade Goods:Firearms of the Fur Trade page 172. Later American made NWTGs by Deringer and others sometimes used flat faced locks.

As an aside, I advise anyone buying custom guns who is interested in historically accurate re-creations, to spend $500 on books and save a lot of money and hassle. This forum is not renowned for its depth of knowledge, though some here are clearly experts in some areas. Forums in general give an equal voice to the serious student and the “by guess and by golly” enthusiast. So, “well, the folks on the forum said it’s such and such” has unknown value. At the very least buy For Trade and Treaty by Ryan Gale. It’s like $35 or something.

I’ll add that relying on Track of the Wolf or L&R to deliver locks and kits that “are true as advertised” is as ill-advised as relying on Navy Arms, Thompson Center, and CVA to deliver an authentic Hawken rifle.

Last edited:
That lock looks to be of a style seen in the last quarter of the 1700s. I see a Barnett NWTG from 1812 with a sporting lock with a flat plate in The Encyclopedia of Trade Goods:Firearms of the Fur Trade page 172. Later American made NWTGs by Deringer and others sometimes used flat faced locks.

As an aside, I advise anyone buying custom guns who is interested in historically accurate re-creations, to spend $500 on books and save a lot of money and hassle. This forum is not renowned for its depth of knowledge, though some here are clearly experts in some areas. Forums in general give an equal voice to the serious student and the “by guess and by golly” enthusiast. So, “well, the folks on the forum said it’s such snd such” has unknown value. At the very least buy For Trade and Treaty by Ryan Gale. It’s like $35 or something.

I’ll add that relying on Track of the Wolf or L&R to deliver locks and kits that “are true as advertised” is as ill-advised as relying on Navy Arms, Thompson Center, and CVA to deliver an authentic Hawken rifle.
Listen well to Rich. He knows of which he speaks. Dead on!

As an aside, I advise anyone buying custom guns who is interested in historically accurate re-creations, to spend $500 on books and save a lot of money and hassle. This forum is not renowned for its depth of knowledge, though some here are clearly experts in some areas. Forums in general give an equal voice to the serious student and the “by guess and by golly” enthusiast. So, “well, the folks on the forum said it’s such snd such” has unknown value. At the very least buy For Trade and Treaty by Ryan Gale. It’s like $35 or something.

Rich,

Thank you so!! I picked this one up from Rick1964 at the Fort de Charters rondy. It’s been a hoot for sure, love shooting it.

So in your estimation it is theoretically possible that my gun could be considered historically correct?

Thanks and God bless!!

X2 at what Rich Pierce said. Get the books. I have every piece of print that I could lay hands on about North West guns and am still learning.

I have just about every published work on trade guns. I can think of only one example that looks to have a flat lock. It still has the rounded cock though. English locks look English. This lock has a bit more continental styling. With exception to the sporting styles used during the 1812 war, and the very late percussion guns, most trade gun locks were 6” in length and noticeably rounded at the rear. Shaped a lot like Bess locks.

Last edited:
Rich,

Thank you so!! I picked this one up from Rick1964 at the Fort de Charters rondy. It’s been a hoot for sure, love shooting it.

So in your estimation it is theoretically possible that my gun could be considered historically correct?

Thanks and God bless!!
As a later trade gun, yes.
Everyone should follow their own standards for historical accuracy.

Is it of a general form common to tens of thousands of English trade guns? Yes.

Is it a close copy of an authenticated original gun known to be used in a specific place at a specific time? No.

Will it be fine for most events that have folks doing historical re-enacting? Yes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back