• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint and steel fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffS

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all, Im having a hard time blowing a glowing charcloth into a flame. Im using a shreaded hemp rope as a nest. Just cant get it to flame. Any hints? or is hemp a bad tinder? It may have been very slightly wet from my sweaty hands but it sure lights easy if I put a lighter to it. My charcloth is shreded cotton, not the usual "patch" charcloth Ive seen.
I did manage to burn a few holes in my shirt, and the end of my finger pretty good, but no flames.

I went to a club shoot sunday and had to start a fire as one of the parts of the match. A guy made the nest for me, and I got it going in no time. blew on it pretty hard about 3 times and it burst into flames. I wish I knew what he made it out of, but it looked a lot like hemp?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Happy ThanksGiving all!

Jeff

Charcloth won't flame. It's already had everything flamable burnt out of it in the charring process. It just glows red as the embers spread across it. You have to press something flamable up against it while blowing. Shredded bark, tow . . . some kind of tinder.

Not all "hemp" is equal. Real linen flax (tow) works well, jute (burlap)does not. Some sisal is treated with anti-rot chemicals and will not burn well. There's even stuff called "Unmalila" that looks like hemp rope but is Nylon (or some other synthetic) which will not work.

I start with a chunk of bark to act as a platform (easier to maneuver once burning), then a nest of hemlock twigs, then shredded bark (usually birch) & tow, with the char cloth in the center. Once a spark catches, I fold the nest in on the cloth and blow across it (not just straight in where my palm and the bark would dead-end the airflow).

Rope works but tow works better. Get you some of that stuff it's the by product of linen. It seems to be finer and bursts into flames much easier. :imo:

YMH&OS,
Chuck

Hello

I use Jute Macrame rope, Jute Ochum, Birch Bark, Popal inner bark, Cedar inner bark, or Sisal rope, or Flax tow Some of the rope has a fire retardent on it or any anti rot chemical which doesn't burn some of the Flax tow needs to be washed to be useble because of the oils on it will not burn. Some of the other just picks up moisture from the atmosphere as on humid days or damp days.

Hope this helps

Smiley

the best flint and steel fire starter in our club uses thistle down...Hank

When you use rope, use some that has been outside a lot, and is really weathered. I believe this just removes any of the chemicals that may have been added in the manufacturing process. I've usually got a fair amount of old tent rope around that is just about right. Fire starting time for mw averages around 5-7 seconds using this. The tow has never worked near as well for me for some reason.

I have to agree with Smiley on the use of jute twine. Just make sure you don't buy a spool that is fire retardant. If you prefer a natural material, the thin curls of bark from white and yellow birch are great and keep the flame a lot longer than jute. Much better for actually starting a fire rather than just jumping up a flame to stop the timer. :m2c:

Hey, look where all these guys come from!

It's that thin Colorado air! You arn't getting enough oxygen to the char!

Our eastern flint, steel, and char has to be kept in seperate bags or they will burst into flame through spontanious combustion at below 500 ft altitude.

Charcloth won't flame. It's already had everything flamable burnt out of it in the charring process.

That's if it's done right...

When I first started charring cloth, I under-charred a batch once, they did flame up...

They were harder to start too, the learning curve is something else...

Like when you open your char cloth charring can too soon, and the contents burst into a flame that would put Greek HellFire to shame... (My wife said I looked good with no eyebrows) :crackup:

I use Jute Macrame rope, Jute Ochum, Birch Bark, Popal inner bark, Cedar inner bark, or Sisal rope, or Flax tow

Back in the '60's people used to char hemp rope... :peace:

0000 Steel wool will catch a spark as well...

Thanks for all the info guys, I plan on doing some practicing again tomorrow out at the barn. The real trick would be to start a real camp fire, as one guy said, not just make a flame. I might try that too if I have time.

(first I gotta make a flame tho... :curse:)

Jeff

Thanks for all the info guys, I plan on doing some practicing again tomorrow out at the barn.

Be careful "NOT" to burn yore barn down!! :nono: :winking: (dry straw or hay, will go up like gasoline)

YMHS
rollingb

I USE FLAX IF IT'S DRY ENOUGH IT SHOULD WORK WELL,FLAX LOOKS A LOT LIKE SHREDDED HEMP.PAUL

You may want to hammer it abit. Use a small 2lb. sledge hammer to soften it up and seperate the fibers. Anybody here ever use a bit of hornet's nest to start a fire?

I have to agree with Smiley on the use of jute twine. Just make sure you don't buy a spool that is fire retardant. If you prefer a natural material, the thin curls of bark from white and yellow birch are great and keep the flame a lot longer than jute. Much better for actually starting a fire rather than just jumping up a flame to stop the timer. :m2c:

Back