• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flint vs. percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I've said more than once over the years, a factory flintlock is a crapshoot (I've had two; one was fine the other very "iffy"). They frequently need tuning to be reliable or (sometimes) to even fire. Granted, many have complete satisfaction with the better quality ones and chances are they will be okay...maybe. The rifles themselves are seldom a problem, just the lock.

And you're right; nothing compares to a "custom" flint. These guns are built with your choice from a large number of very high quality locks. I don't even consider reliability when I take mine out. So far they're even with my capguns - 100% reliability!

The only difference I see is that with a percussion you just load, cap the nipple, fire. There are a couple extra things you do with a flint for insurance. As I load, my thumb wipes the frizzen and the underside of the flint. That's about all there is to it. I don't normally even pick the vent and have fired over 40 shots at the range without a FITP. About the only time misfires happen with a good flinter is when the flint starts to die. Only takes a moment to fix that by either knapping or replacing the flint.

I shoot flinters almost exclusively but still have capguns I'll never part with. The thing to keep in mind (for the inexperienced or newbies, that is) is that the criteria of reliability & misfires simply should not enter into the choice of cap vs flint. Doesn't need to. The choice is best made based on how deeply/traditionally/detailed oriented one is into black powder. There are those (sadly) who should never touch a flintlock. If you can't bring yourself to tinker, take a little time and really watch what's happening, then flint is not for you.

Stringnsmoke, The comments made about custom guns is on the mark. But by all means do what you feel is best for YOU! Homesteader, nothing in this post is aimed at you except to say I agree with you.

I take no issue with the fact that we can all have a bad experience...be it with a Flintlock that has poorly designed or tuned mechanics...or another rifle with its vent too small...or another with poor Flint management...or another using powder like the bad lots of Elephant brand, and the list goes on.

The issue I take is that we as humans, myself included, sometimes make "across the board statements" that really do not apply across the board at all.
There is a specific root cause failure for every Flintlock related problem that simply has to be figured out and eliminated...and they happen on custom Flintlocks as well as those that are mass produced.

After everything is all said and done...whether a highly decorated $6000 Flintlock stock and barrel, or a basic $600 walnut stocked T/C Hawken...it all boils down to a $100-150 lock and vent, and they all need attention to keep them 100% reliable.
:v

:) Hey RoundBall, I really like the fourth pic from the top(the rest too). It's nice to see a father and son out enjoying a fine autumn day stroll in the woods. Them must have gotten tired and laid down for a rest. :stir: :stir:

Well, the police did respond as I thought they would and almost in perfect order.

At least I gave the guy a balance of facts, now he can decide for himself which way to go instead of you 3 telling him.

Be interesting to hear if GA shoots both flint and percussion, talks to some shooters and which he chooses.

Finnwolf said:
Well, the police did respond as I thought they would and almost in perfect order.

At least I gave the guy a balance of facts, now he can decide for himself which way to go instead of you 3 telling him.

Be interesting to hear if GA shoots both flint and percussion, talks to some shooters and which he chooses.

I've never worn a badge in my life, just tell the truth. Sometimes people don't like to hear the truth, well, can't help that. /shrug

I am 15 yards old and I am up to 16 muzzleloaders now. 13 cappers and 3 flinters. my flinters are a .50 T/C,.32 custom,and a double 12 gauge flinter. I need to work on the locks on my double 12,so I havent been able to shoot it yet. My 2 other flinters I love. My caplocks have long sense been collecting dust sense I got the flinters. The only capper I use a lot is my double 12 NWTF shotgun sense I havent got the double flinter fixed yet. I have much more enjoyment in my flinters and I have been urging all my friends to take the plunge and get a flinter. trust me you wont be sorry.

My god man, what'll you be like when you get to be an "Old Fart" like most of us are. I didn't start accumulating most of mine till after I hit 50. :shocked2:

From the mouths of babes....no offense intended Sniper only the utmost respect and admiration, if a teen ager can master the flintlock and choose it over available caplocks that speaks volumes.Once again it is just an issue of choice and there is no reason to fear or be apprehensive about a flintlock, listen to da kid, he done gotts his stuff in order, he probably has not been around enough Flintfobics to get brainwashed agains flinters, welcome aboard Sniper, hope to hear more from you and more of your enrollment campaign.

tg said:
Hey Roundball nice pics...you shoot them all with a capper then put the flintlock in the pictures? Ya can't shoot that many critters with a production gun... I got yer number :stir: nice looking reminders of some great days in the woods. :thumbsup:

OK...you caught me...I've been running a scam for 10 years :wink:

tg said:
"...only the utmost respect and admiration, if a teenager can master the flintlock and choose it over available caplocks that speaks volumes..."

Amen.

Flintlocks are more fun than pre-cussion guns, so that is the way to choose if you want to have more fun. If you do not like to have fun, then you would be better suited by a cap gun. :wink:

Your best bet would be to shoot a flintlock a few times and see how comfortable you are with one. They can be a little temperamental at times, but as far as I'm concerned, they're easier to clean and more satisfying to shoot, not to mention flint is cheaper than caps and if you live in an area with flint on the ground that's even better.

I have a new percussion gun that I finished in June and as much as I like shooting cap guns I'll probably be making a flint lock for it this winter and changing over.

But, either way you go you can't go wrong as long as the lock is on the side of the gun!
:thumbsup:

Well, I'm not 15 - 'tho my wife may say I act like it at times.... I'm kinda like the youngster 'cept it's sticks and strings and not front stuffers - yet.... At one point I had over 35 stick bows... gave a buch of 'em away to get guys started on the path to the mystical flight of the arrow. Now a days I'm down to just 20, about a third longbows and I'm still trying to carve one up that can stand up to my Sasquatch like 32" draw...

So what's my point? Other than it's what's legal here in PA....I into the flint. I'm in it for the experience and I like the historical and traditional stuff... the challenge of getting in close, mastering something that takes more than putting the sights on it and pulling the trigger. I truly feel that a modern rifle (or an in line) is an unfair advantage in the hands of a true rifleman... the stick bows and the flinters put the field craft back into a place of prominence when you go afield.

I always loved flinters and kick myself for passing on several opportunities to build them over the years... Had guys that knew their stuff offer to assist... one guy OWNED a muzzleloader shop that isn't there anymore. So now - 25+ years later - I'm almost ready to complete the assembly of my first flinter and I am already planning my next THREE! Sticks & Strings, rock locks.... it's in the mind and in the blood...... otherwise it's just another bow or rifle to ya and you just don't get it. :hatsoff:

tg said:
The issue is not whether the flintlock is equal to the caplock in perfomance, or what folks in the past may have thought about one or the other,it is whether one should start with a flintlock---"

Actually TG I believe the original question was intended to open discussion of the relative merits of the two ignition types and I believe that was pretty clearly resolved a hundred and fifty years ago when the only folks still shooting flintlocks were those who couldn't get caps.
I think the issue of suitability of flintlocks as beginners guns sort of snuck in later.
So as I understand the original question is "should my next rifle be flint or percussion". And I would say "flint if that's what you really want, but practical considerations favor percussion."

If money isn't the question,

take a rifle which you can have as percussion and flint lock and take both.

I have two flint lock so far, a pistol and a rifle which you can regard from the lower end of production weapons.

The locks are good. Ignition difficulties in competiton may be after shot ten when I forget to wipe the flint or the flint has moved a little bit.

Hopefully next year I will have custom made flints. Than I can compare.

I still have my percussion weapons and I shoot them regulary. I use all my guns in competiton.

IMHO, I think it all comes do to this: A person has to "want" to use a Flintlock.
Has to "want" to use a more primitive means like a Flintlock, a self bow, etc.

Otherwise, as long as the real underlying interest is the "end result" and not the means to that end...ie: putting a buck down...as opposed to "how the buck gets put down"...then any of the more modern weapons is what a person will lean towards...caplocks, centerfires, compound bows, crossbows, etc.

IMO, the "how" has to be more important to the person than the "how many", otherwise it seems many times that Flintlocks are considered sort of neat novelty items, but not really something to be used when the chips are down.

Just my .02 cents...

The conversion from flint to percussion was mainly driven by the various militaries of the world and the need to increase utility, reliability (in the wet in particular), and rate of fire. You may have the same needs. The percussion will certainly be more practical, and you'll avoid the need for a steep learning curve. The flinter shines when it comes to sheer satisfaction, though. My Baker rifle gets shot; the 1853 Enfield seldom does, although it is certainly easier to live with, from a purely utilitarian point of view! If that thought were carried to its logical end, we would all shoot only modern case-flinging appliances that are utterly reliable and need cleaning only rarely, if at all!

Back