• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flint vs. percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like both and shoot both. In fact my latest project is a Tenn./poor-boy caplock rifle. But to be honest I mostly shoot my flintlock these days. Just something about them and they sure do seem to grow on you. I paid $9.00 for a 100 count tin of no. 11 RWS caps the other day (this particular store is well known for its high prices). You can get flints for $1.50 to $2.00 apiece. Seems the flintlock is getting cheaper to shoot.

roundball said:
IMHO, I think it all comes do to this: A person has to "want" to use a Flintlock. Has to "want" to use a more primitive means like a Flintlock, a self bow, etc.

:thumbsup:

I think that's what it boils down to. It's not about "more efficient" or "there's better technology". It's about wanting the "experience" of a flintlock and everything that comes with it. It's not for everyone.

Very wise words by roundball and Claude.
:hatsoff: :bow: :thumbsup:

I confirm to that wisdom. It happend to me though I still use all my other weapons. Have to, alone to keep them.

Meanwhile I have to flinters with real good lock function and I have to say I'm hooked at all. Don't want to have a capper anymore. Looking forward getting my southern mountain kit from Pecatonica.

Regards

Kirrmeister

"is "should my next rifle be flint or percussion". And I would say "flint if that's what you really want, but practical considerations favor percussion.""

The question was what should I get for my 1st ML, and practical considerations between the two types are really meaningless in this day and age, as suevival is not an issue, the fact is that either one would be a good choice for a first time ML shooter as both are not particularly hard to mastrer if one chooses quality equipment, I suppose that the capper could be considered easier to use/learn as some steps are missing from the flintlock experience, but then if one wants it easier the old 30/30 is always there, either flint or cap are acceptable choices of a first ML particularly as this poster has mentioned previous experience with traditional ML's.

I think maybe startin in the middle and workin your way backwards is how it should work. :grin: Remember:

"It's not the destination.....it's the journey."

Okay guys, what wise old man does that quote belong to?

With my rifles, I can get up to 80-90 shots from a good flint. My 20 bore fowler will crush them alot faster though. Also with aging eyes and hands that stiffen up in cold damp weather I dont want to fool with those little caps.

my flinters became so reliable that I had to progress back in time to the wheellock and the matchlock to get enough aggravation!
:rotf: :rotf: :blah: :youcrazy: :shocked2: :shake: :grin:
volatpluvia

Many people start with caplocks only to find themselves getting a flinter, and it all changes!

The caplocks start collecting dust, and many sell them all off! So that is stating something right there! :thumbsup:

I rarely hear about flint shooters hanging up their spurs!

Myself started with caps, and added flinters. I like them both, and they both have a place in history!

I do lean toward a flint gun more tho!

Back