• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

%#$&#@$ Flintlock.....oh wait...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got rid of my .243 and cap lock rifle years ago and hunt everything only with flintlocks. I have a .50 Lancaster for deer, a .40 Lancaster for small game (worked up a load of 60 grains for deer) and a 20 bore fowler. When you put meat on the table with a flintlock, hunting with anything else IMHO is just missing something.

woods loper said:
"...When you put meat on the table with a flintlock, hunting with anything else IMHO is just missing something..."

Different strokes for different folks of course, but that was my experience as well...after my first couple of bucks and turkeys with Flintlocks, I just lost interest in bothering with anything else.
IMO, all the other little discussions about mass produced this, custom that, coiled main springs vs. v-springs, etc, etc, are just fringe discussions...the bottom line to me is consistently taking game with Flintlock ignition is very satisfying...and if you make it happen on a rainy day that's just icing on the cake.
:thumbsup:

roundball said:
...and if you make it happen on a rainy day that's just icing on the cake.
:thumbsup:

There in lies the challenge! Here in PA, it seems like hunting season = monsoon season anymore.... Except when I have commitments that prevent me from going out... then the weather is perfect!

In Belgium we are not allowed to hunt with black powder guns, :cursing: so we have to find our fun on the shooting range. :thumbsup: There too it is great fun to outshoot 'other people' with 'other guns' with a flintlock ... those who shoot flintlocks invariably atrackt onlookers!And they always wonder how well these fine old guns shoot! :grin:

Back