• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock or Percussion?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heading out to Washington state on the western side (damp side) for elk next Fall and was wondering if I should use my .54 cal flintlock or would I be better off getting a new .54 in percussion ignition? Hoping to hear from those who hunt this area and their personal experiences in dealing with the weather. Although, any and all advice is certainly more than welcome!

I take my flinter out all season long, 99% of the time its raining in the cascades.

Every morning before I load the pan, I run a crayon around the pan lip & frizzen bottom.

Poswer it, and snapper shut. I also wear my tricorn backwards. First year I took my flinter out, every time I lowered my head to look at the lock, water poured out of my hat. Fixed that problem.

I don't live in western Washington but have hunted blacktails and bears there. It was misty rain constantly and I would suggest the percussion gun. My flintlock sometimes hangfires in dry sunny weather so I'd take the percussion gun with some finger cots and nipple covers.

One thing about the weather here in Washington..you cant count on it. If its the early elk season the weather can be bone dry and very warm and some years its wet and nasty. The terrain on the west side is very thick for the most part. Lots of grown up clear cuts with waist high brush. If you are hunting the late season you can count on rain and all that brush will be soaked and when you walk through it you and all your gear will be soaked. I have both styles of rifle so I just watch the weather and grab the one that fits the day. Hopefully you have local persons with knowledge of the hunt areas. Lots of the timber companys are charging trespass fees to hunt the land and have only limited access permits available for the season...this is getting worse by the year. Take it for what its worth..there are way better elk hunting states than Washington. If you come out..good luck with the hunt.

do what I do in north western MT and CO during a rainy muzzleloader season.
bring both :wink:

My flintlocks have always been reliable for me. I hunted moose one year in northern Ontario, it rained so much my tapered ramrod swelled up and I couldn't get it out of the pipes. Luckily I had an extra rod with me. I checked the powder in the pan frequently and if I thought it was damp I changed it. When the time came for my chance it didn't let me down and I killed a big bull moose.

At night I keep the vent pluged with something. Also in damp weather I sometimes poke a little 4ffff into the touch hole. Percussion guns have failed to fire for me a few times but if you do your part a flintlock will not let you down.

Here's a little poem I wrote a while back

"Flint be sharp to make good spark, no damp be in the pan

pick the vent it must be clear to do the job at hand.

plug the vent with feathered quill when storing for the night

do your part so carefully and it will serve you right."

NWTF Longhunter said:
My flintlocks have always been reliable for me. I hunted moose one year in northern Ontario, it rained so much my tapered ramrod swelled up and I couldn't get it out of the pipes. Luckily I had an extra rod with me. I checked the powder in the pan frequently and if I thought it was damp I changed it. When the time came for my chance it didn't let me down and I killed a big bull moose.

At night I keep the vent pluged with something. Also in damp weather I sometimes poke a little 4ffff into the touch hole. Percussion guns have failed to fire for me a few times but if you do your part a flintlock will not let you down.

Here's a little poem I wrote a while back

"Flint be sharp to make good spark, no damp be in the pan

pick the vent it must be clear to do the job at hand.

plug the vent with feathered quill when storing for the night

do your part so carefully and it will serve you right."
I like that poem. I think I'll use it on another forum if that's ok.

Back