• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock rework

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudd turtle

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Sometime ago I posted this question and did not get an answer. I have a 54 cal flintlock that I would like to rework or redo. The rifle was not very well done and I was wondering if it would be possibable to remake -redo this rifle useing most of the parts from the stock. The rifle has been glass beded and the nose cap was glued on . There is no sign of a brass or copper pin in the nose cap.The ramrod could be reused and I am hopeing that butt plate ,barrel, lockplate and trigger guard can be reused. Parts that would have to be replaced are the trigger plat-which wasn't drilled center. The barrel was made by Douglas and the barrel tang plug was not marked in any way that I might be able to reline it with the barrel. I think I might be able to reuse the barrel pins. Would someone tell me if what I want to do is possible or a waste of time and money. I want to find a stock that is about 98% :grin: with very little inleting to be done. It seems to be a waste not to try to rebuild this rifle. Let me hear your suggestions. mudd turtle.

:hatsoff: Hi, If it was me I would contact Jack Garner at TVM. Jack carves an outstanding stock and could give you some good pointers on the re-build Good Luck DBJ

You can take this gun apart and use all the salvaged parts in a new gun. It can be a little more difficult than using all new parts because the older parts have been filed, or bent or the lugs are already on and now all the parts have to be fit to the new stock.

Outside of it taking a little more effort to work with the older parts I'd say go ahead. Douglas made a good barrel and they are usually worth the effort to reuse.

Many Klatch

I don't see why ya can't use most of it. Don't worry about the barrel pins, just use finishing nails to replace them. As for the glued on nosecap, usually a lil heat will soften the glue if it is epozy & ya can slip it off. When ya remove the barrel, look inside & see if it has a screw into the cap or rivet from the inside.

You may have to go with the same style rifle for the buttplate to fit, sideplate & triggerguard to be appropriate, etc.

:thumbsup:

I don't see why you can't do it. I've done the same thing on several rifles. The barrel pins are a none issue. Any piece of metal the right size will do. Someone mentioned finishing nails would work and they will.

Finding a 98% inletted stock might be rough. You would have to find one for that particular lock, trigger set and buttplate. I always used preshaped stocks with the barrel and ramrod channels cut. In that case you do not have to worry about whether the metal parts will fit because you inlet them yourself. A big advantage is that you can build the new rifle to fit you with the proper pull length.

Yes and no.

If it is just a bad job done with good parts, you can usually re-do it by a little reshaping of the stock and putting a good finish on.

But, if you have one kind of rifle, and want another kind, you will find out soon enough that most of the parts aren't quite right, and you might as well start from scratch and get what you really want. In that case, do option 1, and sell it to finance the parts kit. It will be good experience if nothing else.

just my $0.02 :v

Back