• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock rifle under $650

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for a nice flintlock rifle for about $650 - suggestions?

Keith

You might find a used one in that price range and ERA and others have kits in that range, I think most of the production guns are less than that, the LGP and the latest knock off of the "Hatfield"
by Pedorsoli are probably the best looking guns of that type.I have seen what looked to be pretty nice plain guns go for that on the trade blankets on the various forums, buying used can open up another can of worms but with caution and common sense most folks can get thru a deal with out getting burnt. Good luck which ever way you choose.

Having learned the hardway by my own purchases and the purchases made by friends of mine - skip the production rifles. In my opinion you will get a 2nd rate stock, a 2nd rate lock and a so-so barrel.
If you like the Hawken style, buy an upper end maple replacement stock for a T/C rifle. You'll find nice grade 4s at Pecatonica or Track of the Wolf at $160. L&R has a top shelf flint lock to fit the T/C stock at $135. Green Mountain has barrels that drop into the Thompson stock in .50 and .54 for $219. That's only a tad over $500 - you can get the rest if the parts inside your budget and all you'll have to do is a little sanding and staining. You'll have a unique rifle, better than any of the production guns.

The TCs are mass produced. TCs are production guns even if you put the parts together. They are production guns as are Lymans and DPS rifles.

If you have Mike Brooks or one of the many builders build your rifle it is a custom rifle. :thumbsup:

Given your budget, mine was less when I was looking, the Lyman Great Plains is a fine shooter. I have no regrets at all about the one I have. Perhaps, some day, I will have a custom gun made by Mr. Brooks (Nice firearms there); until then, the GPR shoots plenty straight.
Pete

redwing said:
The TCs are mass produced. TCs are production guns even if you put the parts together. They are production guns as are Lymans and DPS rifles.

If you have Mike Brooks or one of the many builders build your rifle it is a custom rifle. :thumbsup:
Yes, but how many will build one for less than $600?

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want a new rifle, you'll pretty much have to go with a Lyman or T/C (with upgrades as mentioned previously) either of these is a perfectly serviceable rifle, from which you can expect many years (i.e. a lifetime, and probably the lifetime of your heirs) of faithful performance. there's a lot of meat in a lot of freezers put there by folks who took the time to figure out how to do it right, and i'd hazard a guess that they used production rifles (mostly) to do it.

don't get an in-%^&$, if for no other reason that they're just not that much fun to shoot.

so, i would recommend the T/C, but that's just one guy's opinion, and based on my use of T/C products, i've never owned a lyman, although i've seen a few and they appear to be well made rifles.

if you're looking to have on built, as a practical matter, you'll need to about double your budget. last time i built a fifle, i spent about $190 on a nice barrel (swamped, with radius groove rifling), another $250 on a beautiful stock, about $125 on the lock and another $65 on triggers. before you buy any furniture, you've got $630 into it. If i were a machinist with Mike Brooks' talent, i could easily charge $120 an hour and do so with a straight face, and probably have a long list of people waiting for me to start on their project. So i'm sure that he's not making near that on his work, which, if i had the money, i'd grab in a heartbeat.

if you buy a used rifle, well, caveat emptor, and i'd be hesitant to buy one you couldn't try (or return if you didn't like it). don't get me wrong- there are plenty of good deal out there, but you can very easily 'get burned' and i'd hate to see anyone turned off muzzleloading after such an experience.

so, after all that blather, i'd advise you to get a T/C or Lyman and jazz it up a bit.

As said in earlier posts on this string, the Lyman and TC products are quite functional (I was pleased to learn, in another string, that the TC locks were improved. The TC flintlock I bought in 1973 was lacking and kept me from shooting flint for over 10 years).

As I progressed thru the stages, it became more personal taste and the desire not to be carrying the same thing as others that pushed me to alter production guns and then to have a few customs built.

I am planning one more. I will not go a full custom but will use existing production parts and assemble to taste. As with the TC lock and suppository guns, barrel production has come a long way in 30+ years thanks to CNC machining and other manufacturing improvements. I see little benefit to match barrels for my hunting applications and feel a GM or the like will suffice. The lock is still another story for "if'n she don't spark she don't kill".

TC

Something that will "pass" as a flintlock long rifle - that will be used mostly as a hunting/competition gun when I need something to shoot at 100+ yds - otherwise my smoothbore will suffice.

So, far I have narrowed it down to

Blue Ridge rifle
Deluxe/regular frontier rifle
or perhaps a used DGW Tennessee Mtn Rifle

Of that bunch the old Dixie rifle would be my choice. About the only thing that goes wrong with them is the lock, and L&R now offers a replacement, so you're covered.

The Traditions PA Longrifle is the nicest looking production rifle I found. Go to the " Traditions Muzzloader " website and take a look. I bought one a few years ago and am very pleased with it. I have shot groundhogs out to 40 yd with it and targets out to 50. Nothing past 50 though. Too far away for my eyes. I'm sure the rifle is capable out to 100+ but I am not. What would you shoot at at that distance?

Sorry Redwing,
I am not recommending a T/C, nor would I. I am recommending high quality replacement components for a T/C so that all the parts will be drop-in, no real work required, just assembly. Plus you get far better components. I've yet to see a T/C or Lyman that could compare lock, stock or barrel to those components. And it would be a custom rifle - LOP custom to the shooter, stock stain and finish to the shooter's taste, choice of trigger and trigger guard up to the shooter.

For a "nice" first flintlock rifle under $650 the GPR from midsouth is a terrific choice. I bought my first Lyman from midsouth and have been ecstatic with it. It has always shot accurately and it taught me alot about flintlocks. Put the $200 bucks you saved by going the GPR from Midsouth into buying some "nice" accoutrements!! hahaha. Plus a variety of Flints. And some extra powder! I guy can't have too many flints or too much powder in my opinion. What caliber are you thinking? I love my 54.

here are some for sale on another board, as close to your price as i could hope to find most times;
i am in no way connected with these:

go to americanlongrifles dot org

got to the forums and look on the section "items for sale/wanted "

and look at the post " 2 custom flinters cheap $$$ "

Mike Brooks said:
Yes, but how many will build one for less than $600?
That's where the problem lies....I pay more than that just to buy the parts.
I probably should have worded that differently: How many CAN build one for less than $600? I would think it's impossible to build a gun by hand (that one would put one's name on) for less than $600.

I built a GPR flinter last winter, and then bought a percussion GPR at an auction. I'm quite pleased with both guns and enjoy shooting them. But I want to do just a bit better next time, so I'll probably step up to a blank stock and barrel next. The ultimate goal is a high quality custom built flintlock long rifle; if I find I can't do it myself (based on the results of this next project) I'll buy it, but the most likely outcome is doing the basic fabrication inhouse and farming out the decoration to a craftsman.

Latest posts

Back