• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock rifle under $650

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muskeg Stomper said:
Check out Dixie Gun Works online. Since you didn't state what style rifle you're looking for, you can browse for a style that catches your eye. I'm personally fond of the Dixie/Pedersoli Pennsylvania Rifle but Lyman GPR is another good value. There are some very nice smoothbore trade guns out there available, North Star West comes to mind, that you can find within your price range if you aren't hard set on a rifle. Look around, find a style and caliber suitable to you, and have fun.

He said he wants a flintlock longrifle.

My Lyman Trade rifle outshoots my custom long rifle with a big name barrel and lock. It shouldn't but it does. The longrifle shoots well, but I never found a load that would group like the Lyman, and the Lyman will do it with quite a range of loads. The trigger pull is a little gritty, and it feels a bit clunky, but don't think some of these production guns won't shoot.

You never said if you were willing to build yourself, or I missed it, but a first class shooter can be put together for less than $650 if you are willing to collect parts and do the work yourself. I am finishing my fourth..a brand new GM .32 x 3/4" x 42" bbl was $130, after much thought I decided to go with percussion (something tells me BP is going to get very scarce and $$$ when that "other fella" takes office), a siler percussion lock was $85 and the stock blank from TOTW was $130. Gotta admit, I'm a 'smith and everything else I forged, but add another $100 or so for butt-plate, trigger, R/R thimbles, sights, etc. It's some work, but enjoyable. I'm no slave to "Lancaster", or "York", more inclined to the Southern 'hog rifle' working gun. My fourth is better than the first, but the first doesn't embarass me a bit and it's a great shooter...so, unless you think, as others have said, that a $1000 rifle will make you shoot better, give building your own a thought. This site contains enough expertise to get you through just about anything.

KHickam said:
I am looking for a nice flintlock rifle for about $650 - suggestions?

Keith

Cabelas has many models that will fill your need. :thumbsup:

My Pedersoli kentucky model has served me well.

Trot said:
My Lyman Trade rifle outshoots my custom long rifle with a big name barrel and lock. It shouldn't but it does. The longrifle shoots well, but I never found a load that would group like the Lyman, and the Lyman will do it with quite a range of loads. The trigger pull is a little gritty, and it feels a bit clunky, but don't think some of these production guns won't shoot.
O.K. But the man wants a long rifle. As in a rifle with a long barrel. That's what should be addressed here. He isn't looking for options OTHER than long rifles, he's looking for options WITHIN the area of long rifles. Folks talking about trade rifles and heavy plains rifles to a man asking about a longrifle is like a man who wants a sports car being told how wonderful four wheel drive pickups and jeeps are. It may be true, but it isn't very helpful to him. :v

My point was not to rule out production rifles, while not historically accurate some can shoot well. I never recomended the Trade rifle as a longrifle. My apologies, I did not realize that nothing else should be mentioned while making a point.

Trot,
Check the classifieds, there's a little 1/2 stock flinter there for $265. Doesn't look like a bad rifle, never been fired.
Mark

Keith,

I have not read your whole thread; but I would make the following suggestion. It's what I did.

Look around for a nice used custom made rifle. whatever you end up with will be twice the quality of whatever 'factory' rifle you buy. there are great deals out there you just have to look for them. I paid $700 for a rifle that is worth at least twice that, maybe three times. I wanted a clunky shooter to get started with and ended up with a collector grade beautiful rifle. Look around in the gun action sites, gun for sale sites and you will find something. You may have to boost your price to less than $1000, but it will be worth it. Go over to the Percussion forum and look my thread under "my new R Ashe 36 cal longrifle" to see what I got.

There is one on the Historical Trekking Round Robin .45 cal 36" barrel, Siler lock by Jackie Brown for $600 in the white.

I am having to wait a bit yet. I am now trying to get through the winter without loosing my arse. I will hopefully be able to afford something in the next 5 months. :shake:

Being a dog trainer in a poor economy is not fun, probably much the same in many professions :(

Keith, I thought I recognized your name from a few of the upland bulletin boards. Perhaps you could work something out in trade, say 2 months training in SD for a decent longrifle? I'm not sure that I really need the training at this moment (my older male setter's right where I want him and I'm not sure being without the young female would be worth it to me at this point) but perhaps other guys on the board would consider it. I doubt that I'm the only one on this board that could use your services. Maybe someone would have a decent rifle that they'd trade for a setter pup or something too.

I sort of explored that a bit. And I will have more time to do some stuff in the future.

Keith

"Being a dog trainer in a poor economy is not fun, probably much the same in many professions"

The residential construction/remodel market took a nose dive here about a month ago, only a very few permits applied for for the whole county this month, and contractors lined up like buzzards when somethimg does come up for bid, gonna be a tough winter me thinks.

Latest posts

Back