• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes k

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Made it out for a couple hours before the snow melted the other day. First time out with the .32 flinter this year so a few escaped. range 15-40 yards.

Squirrel hunting with a flintlock is the ultimate rifleman's game.
If there is a better way to spend an afternoon in the woods, I would sure like to hear about it.
Thanks for the great photo.

PJC

From one Wes to another...way to :hatsoff: go, guy! We have what amounts to an open year round squirrel season here, but I wait till at least the first freeze to do the limb-chicken two-step! :wink:

Congrats! Always liked hunting them, but mostly hunt COE land nowadays, and the season (according to them, as opposed to the year round season that Texas allows) doesn't start til mid January, and I am limited to using a shotgun, so hope to be eating as well as you in a few weeks. I need to take my .32 FL after them sometime soon, cause as much fun as a FL smooth-bore is, a .32 like the one you used just can't be beat.

Maybe I missed it in another post of yours, but may I ask a few details on that rifle?

Nice photo, nice rifle, nice shooting. I don't really care for squirrel (ate too many as a kid) so I don't hunt them any more but that's some great sport there.

Nice hunt, and a fine photo of the results. The rich coloration of the squirrels' fur really complements the lines and figure in your flintlock.
Blackbruin: What's that about noodles? Do we need a thread in the recipes forum? I'm thinking "yes."

BillinOregon said:
What's that about noodles? Do we need a thread in the recipes forum? I'm thinking "yes."

Have eaten a lot of squirrel, but never thought of putting them together with noodles. But when I think of it some shredded squirrel meat, noodles, cream of mushroom soup, maybe a few choice veggies....

If someone has a recipe with squirrels and noodles, I'd love to see it too.

Way to go Wes!!
those look like the equivalent of our gray or cat squirrels but reddish coated, are they referred to as fox or red squirrels??? what we call a fox squirrel here are rabbit sized and come in a variety of colors and patterns.

creek

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. I picked the rifle up used in the classified section a while back. It's my first flinter and I am hooked. Don't know too many details about the gun but I couldn't be happier with it! Looking foward to getting a smoothbore to try on birds and whitetail as soon as my funds allow.
They are fox squirrels, we also have gray squirrels but they are smaller and more prevalent in town.

Holy Cow, Creek, if you guys have squirrels as big as bunnies it must make standing under a tree interesting! :wink: :thumbsup:

Spikebuck said:
Have eaten a lot of squirrel, but never thought of putting them together with noodles. But when I think of it some shredded squirrel meat, noodles, cream of mushroom soup, maybe a few choice veggies....

If someone has a recipe with squirrels and noodles, I'd love to see it too.
Rather than get deep into recipes, I'll toss out my Mom was German from St.Louis and was schlepped to Texas after marrying a Texas guy and got introduced to the Southern cooking style by my paternal Grandmother who was from Virginia.
What that means is we got fed most things on good German style noodles or rice. Everything form venison to squirrel to cottontail. Later on I've experimented with critters from muskrat to fox and if you go stew, smothered or etoufee...put it on good noodles or rice! Beats the diddley out of taters! Short version!!

Spike buck This don't have noodles in it but its good anyway.Boil your squirrels one hour ,dip them in Ranch dressing,then dip em in corn meal ,fry them in hot oil till crispy then serve with taters and gravy ,green beans,biscits,and noodles. Curt

Latest posts

Back