• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"for a few dollars more" carbine/revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure just what your looking for but years ago (still have it put up after fireing 16 shots and was really happy with it.) I picked up a 44cal Navy that is 12" maybe a bit longer and the stock for it, they do look really good and can shoot if tuned right very nice. Fred :hatsoff: (if your intrested I'll go look up who made it next time I get to storage.)

Go to the Dixie Gun Works web site and look at shoulder stocks. The offer 3 different stocks.

The shoulder stocks are readily available for cap and ball revolvers. Just don't put it on anything modern, unless you have one legally registered under the NFA to use on modern guns (what a stupid law).

I'm wanting one myself but the cost for such a relatively simple wood and brass item is what has stopped me thus far.

I may be wrong, but I believe the removable shoulder stock for the Colt pistols will only work on a "4 screw frame".
These frames have two "cheese head" (or "pan head") screws located on either side of the frame just above the trigger (about 3/8 inch behind the trigger screw). They also have a notch milled into the bottom of the grip frame at the rear for the stock to hook into.
Without these extra features, I don't think those (very expensive) stocks can be mounted on the gun.

zonie :)

welllll really they will fit , , just not as good, guess I was thinking ahead I got 4 of them from a place in MISS for 80 each about 10 yrs back.Wish I had a pic of this "P" Navy with the 12" barrel and no loading lever, love the looks of this, and carry a spare cyl to reload gun. Fred :hatsoff:

I was wathing the mowie lonesome dove yesterday. And there was that blonde bandit, allso shooting a SA revolver with shoulderstock. I did not see what kind of revolver it was, i just get a glimt of it.

Or maybe, it was a revolvercarbine. I have to look at the mowie again.

Colt supplied a Metal Skeleton stock with their Buntline revolvers. This is a link to one on GunsAmerica.

Buntline

Now i have seen the mowie again. And yes, it seems lik a Buntline. But it is a real valnut rifle stock,and it looks like a factory made revolver carbine. It is not a detachable shoulder stock, and it seems that the gun, have a special kind of frame. Nice gun, but not a nice guy, that owns it. Lonesome Dove, one of the best western mowie i have seen. When Robert Duval put the tang sight up, and shoot that bandit.Thats something.

There are a number of Ctg.handguns that you can stock. The C96 Broomhandle Masuers.Lugers, P35 Brownings, Inglas, Etc. Check out the list of pistols that the BATF allows with out any special permits.
You cannot stock modern Glocks S&W Etc. just the older WW1 and WW11 stuff.

Thanks for that link, Rider. I posted a question some months back reference that particular stock. I had seen a foto of a BP revolver with stock like that I think on an auction ad. I'm interested in fabricating something like that for my '58 Rem. "Buffalo" revolver w/12" barrel. I'm thinking it is going to be quite an undertaking as the attachment set-up is going to have to be a sturdy design. Anyone with ideas?

You might want to take a look at what's been done. The U.S. Patent office has an online database of U.S. patents that have been issued.

The link is U. S. Patents .

Click on "Advanced Search" and enter "ccl/42/72" then under "Select Years" pick "1790 to the Present". There are 218 patents for "Additional or auxiliary stocks to be attached usually to pistol-handles to convert them into shoulder-guns."

You may have to download a free plugin to view the images.

stock.jpg

Colt's 1859 patent.

Here's an interesting one.
canestock.jpg

Old Coot

Thanks for the link Coot, since the skeleton stock is on a 1850's and up to (I think) 1890 it should narrow the search down some - if the stock was patented and not a one-off creation by a custom pistolsmith.

Back