• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For sixty years.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always read about water being used as the best thing to clean up BP residue. I do use water (slightly warm) to clean my BP rifles along with Ballistol and it works really well. On the other hand I don't use water to clean my 1858 New Model Army .44 revolver however; rather I just use a brass brush along with Hoppe's #9 and Ballistol and it works just fine for me! I remove the cylinder and crack the nipples a bit to keep them from freezing and about every 50 rounds fired I'll fully remove the nipples and clean as necessary and with one drop of oil on the threads will reinstall. I will reoil as necessary and after cleaning the barrel using the Hoppe's and Ballistol I will leave the barrel entirely coated with a light oil. I have never found any sign of rust on any of the parts or buildup of carbon within the 8" barrel.

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Last edited:
I take off the grips and cylinder and wash and rinse the whole thing in hot running tap water after first application of moose milk and scrubbed with patches on a jag and baby toothbrush and Q-tips into the action. Rarely use a brass brush unless I waited too long to clean and there's some BP crud in the rifling grooves washing didn't remove. After the soap and water I use compressed air to blow out the excess water, stick the whole thing in the oven at about 130 degrees for 15 or 20 minutes to evaporate the water, then a light spray and wipe of Ballistol after it cools takes care of any residual moisture.

Latest posts

Back