• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Forgot my measure!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes sir I goofed big time!
I had prepped my bag the night before but forgot my measure!
So, I just poured some powder into my hand and did the same for the shot plus a little more.

Worked perfectly.

B.

Britsmoothy said:
So, I just poured some powder into my hand and did the same for the shot plus a little more.

Worked perfectly.

Kinda flies in the face of the precision measuring crowd, the bean counters of the muzzleloading world, if you will. :rotf:

:thumbsup: Well after loading many many times ya sorrta get an idea of what's needed.Griz

Good move, Brits. Before long you will really be doing it the way the old boys did.

To avoid such problems, take up pipe smoking. Then you will never be without your measure, according to Thomas Page, a countryman of yours, in 1767.

" ”¦.it is a common practice in this country to load with a pipe bowl of powder and a bowl and a half of shot ;"

Or maybe that is too precise for you. :wink:

Spence

I've been wondering lately if one can't improve on ones "feel" for the right amount of powder but counting seconds while pouring into a measure. I have a bad habit of overpouring my measure, especially when using a flask instead of a horn, and wondered if counting the way some bar tenders do would help. Then it would not matter what one is pouring into, a three second pour into one's palm would be the same as a three second pour into a measure if one keeps flow the same.

To avoid such problems, take up pipe smoking. Then you will never be without your measure, according to Thomas Page, a countryman of yours, in 1767.

" ”¦.it is a common practice in this country to load with a pipe bowl of powder and a bowl and a half of shot ;"

Finally! A good use for a pipe..... :thumbsup:

Great reference Spence.... :hatsoff:

When I started reading you goofed and saw the squirrel coming down the tree beside your gun I thought you had stepped out aways from it and the squirrel was making its get away then saw the back feet hanging off the tree. Glad it all worked out for you. Enjoy yours and everyones pictures and stories. Dan.

ny griz said:
:thumbsup: Well after loading many many times ya sorrta get an idea of what's needed.Griz

There's a lot to that. Out of habit, I often pour a measure of powder or shot into my hand just to have a look. No rhyme or reason to my doing it- I just do it. Roots may lie in my testing the old round ball practice of putting a ball in your hand, then pouring enough powder to cover it. I did a lot of that, then measuring the powder in the pile just to see how the charge compared with my measured charges. Kinda fun, really.

Odds are pretty good I could "eyeball" a proper charge to within 10%. Good enough for shotgun work. :wink:

Instinctive thinking Brit, congratulations. Your gray squirrels look exactly like ours. What do they feed on, acorns? The first squirrels that crossed over from the NA Continent to the British isles, or the reverse, must have had one hell of a swim, LOL........robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
They are the same critter. American gray squirrels were introduced to England in the 1870s, and like many non-indigenous species, expanded at a rapid rate. There are millions of them, now, while the native red squirrels are down to a few thousands.

Spence

Back