• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fowler trigger guard advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old40Rod

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Great, thanks. That's the way I was leaning, I just wasn't 100 percent certain.

One of the easiest ways to tell if a beginner built a muzzleloader is to look at the finials of the trigger guard, the patchbox (if present) and the edges of the sideplate.

If they are sitting on the stocks surface standing proud you can be sure it was not made by someone who knows what he/she is doing.

The "feet" or finials should be inletted so that the top surface or the corner of the chamfer (if present) is flush with the adjacent wood.

Thank you, Zonie. This is the first build I have done with a trigger guard with a such a long, thin tail and long acorn finial up front. I just wasn't sure how that was going to look inletted.

To help with the inletting, put a slight chamfer all the way around the guard. That way when you mark to inlet your inlet will be tight, and you can widen it as you go deeper. Only has to be about 3 or 4 degrees. If the tabs are as long as those shown, I would shorten at leas the front one as it may interfere with your ramrod channel.

Bill

It is most important the triggerplate & the triggerguard be centered in the stock, as if not it will be very obvious.

Also, if there is a cast off on the stock, bend the tail of the triggerguard after the bow to go straight down the stock. If it is not centered as it comes down the stock, it will also be an obvious error and stand out.

Keith Lisle

Keith's advice is very good... i almost made that pretty bone- head mistake myself, but was saved by patience and a cup of coffee. the voice in my head said, 'this isn't right. go get a cup of coffee and look at it again.' ... and bingo- there it was. saved a major woopsie!

I already filed in a bit of draft, so I should be good there. I did have to take a bit off the front post to get everything to clear and put in a slight bend in the tail to center it up on the stock. I have it fit pretty well on the surface, just need to inlet now. Thanks again for all the help.

Latest posts

Back