• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fowler vs smooth rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Was wondering wharf the actual difference between a fowler and a smooth rifle is? I am looking for a larger caliber smoothie, and I have found a few fowlers but outside of the stock and sights used what is the difference ? I would use it mainly for deer and small game and I would mainly be shooting 75yds and under ... For those uses and ranges ....is one any better than the other?

While there is some blending of details basically a smooth rifle has all the features of a rifle(cheekpiece,patchbox,sights etc. etc.) just doesn't have rifleing in the barrel.It may have a full oct barrel or an oct to round barrel.

A fowler usualy has no cheeck piece,no patch box ,usually a front sight,usually no rear sight and usually has an oct-round barrel with no rifleing.

There are no absolutes as you will find some differences in the originals.

With in 75 yards if you are willing to practice there won't be much difference in accuracy for most hunting purposes.

Mitch

Also a fowler can be much more muzzle light than a smooth rifle. It's not unusual for a fowling piece designed for wingshooting to weigh 6.5 to 7.5 pounds, but a smooth rifle will often weigh 7.5 pounds on up because of barrel configurations. A waterfowling gun can weigh more especially if likely used for shootings rafts of ducks on rivers and bays. There are very few barrels and kits out there with proper balance and weight to make a good lightweight wingshooting fowling piece.

Then there are smoothbores that built like fowling pieces but with thicker octagon to round or round barrels, often suitable for militia use, round ball, sometimes called "buck and ball" guns. These are a better choice for round ball, less for wingshooting.

Depends what you like better, JP Beck has a few surviving oct to round smoothbores that have his standard stock design, patch box, etc. They are perfectly able to big game and wing shoot and feel like a rifle without the muzzle weight. I have built a few in this configuration with pleasant results.

A fowler will be lighter and better with shot; being designed for wingshooting moving birds. A smooth rifle will be more accurate with a patched ball and will have sights. Of course individual results may vary. There is usually a large weight difference as mentioned by Rich.

G'day,
I have just read a brief article on a Lancaster smoothbore rifle. it is a double barreled .50 cal. it describes the barrles as being oval with the first barrel being 0.503"and 0.496" and the second as 0.506" and 0.493" diameter. So I figure that the ovals have a rate of twist. There are fold dowm rear sights for 50, 100 and 150 yards. hope that is of some help.
cheers
Jonno

One thing to consider is the buttplate. Most fowlers have a straighter buttplate without any crescent. This is important in wing shooting. When mounting a shotgun the first thing that is suppose to touch the gun first is your cheek and then you bring your shoulder forward to meet the buttplate at which point, if done properly, the gun should go off. This is difficult to do with a crescent buttplate.

Also I don’t see this being done much, mostly I see people raising the buttplate to the shoulder and then the cheek to the comb. Which is wrong and why most people have trouble shooting a shotgun from a low ready position. But I digress; I think if you are going to do any wingshooting and PRB get a properly fitted fowler. If you are going to shoot PRB and stationary targets with shot get a smooth rifle.

What article? Where did you read it? Did it identify the maker?

The only oval shaped bores I've ever encountered were believed to be "worn" that way by the ramrod and not made that way. I suspect that is the case here too, as the dimensions are different between the two barrels. Likely they are round a couple inches past the muzzle.

First, ask yourself what would be the advantage of oval bores? Then ask yourself how they would be cut?

The projectile has to match the bore or no seal could be achieved. As for shot, it has been recognized for some time that spinning the shot column causes blows the pattern.

Enjoy, J.D.

JonnoAustralia said:
The Lancaster smooth bore rifle, I was wondering if the oval bores have a twist? Does anyone here know?
Quite likely. I recall mention of Lancaster oval-bore rifling being used on some model of M/L rifle used by the U.K., so civilian versions seem reasonable.

Regards,
Joel

I find your post a little confusing.

So, there was an English military rifle that used American Lancaster style oval rifling? Is that what you are saying?

Or are you saying that the Brits used an oval style rifling so it's likely someone in Lancaster did too?

The Brits did use a wide round bottom two groove rifling that used a special winged bullets that fit the grooves. These were generally big bore Cape type guns. These bores appeared almost oval but I have seen no reference of it being used in American longrifles.

Enjoy, J.D.

Guys it's Lancaster rifleing as in Charles William Lancaster of London.It was invented in 1850 and was not used in this country and was barely used in England.It has nothing to do with what we use and disscuss on this site.

Mitch Yates

Spot on Mitch!!! :rotf:
Sounds the same but there is a difference in English and American :grin:

Thanks for clearing that up Mitch. So that Lancaster rifle that JonnoAustralia was referring to was likely English and not American.

Confusing on a site like this. I wonder if it was an early or late Lancaster.:hmm:

:rotf: Enjoy, J.D.

Firstly, Sorry for any confusion. I am only a novice, and I very much enjoy reading and learning from you all. the article that I read was titled A Lancaster smoothbore rifle, by Leo Laden on page 113 of the Australian Shooter. a Sporting Shooters Association of Australia publication. teh rifle was made by Charls Lancaster, circa 1850-1860. I It also states that there are london proofs on it.

These guys are talking about Lancaster school rifles refering to a county in which this style of rifles were made, the article you refer to is about a rare English made gun , no conection.

No appology necessary. We are all here to learn. Confusion is good some times as it results in questions.

Welcome aboard. Stick around. Enjoy, J.D.

Bryon said:
Was wondering wharf the actual difference between a fowler and a smooth rifle is? I am looking for a larger caliber smoothie, and I have found a few fowlers but outside of the stock and sights used what is the difference ? I would use it mainly for deer and small game and I would mainly be shooting 75yds and under ... For those uses and ranges ....is one any better than the other?

Rifle has REAR SIGHT, Fowler has NO REAR SIGHT!

Back