• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

front site

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

great plains

32 Cal.
Reaction score
looking at a front site fore a lyman GP will the site that lyman sells look stupid on this gun??? i' missed a deer this past hunt season :redface: cannot see the front site :shocked2: should i' go with a silver front site??? will the silver show up good right at dark???

For deer hunting the question isn't:" how well the sight looks on the rifle." The question is " How well can you see the sight!" Go out in the evening and try placing different sights on the barrel and see which you can see the best.

Carry a container of Whiteout with you. You can paint the front sight white if it gets real dark and if the sun comes back out you can scrape it off the front sight with your fingernail.

Many Klatch

The only times you might get grief over a sight are a) a modern scope on your muzzleloader at a traditional shoot or b)a neon sight on a historically correct longrifle. On most of the "Hawkin" production rifles, modern type sights are common place and don't draw a lot of attention.

very good idea.

before i got my fiber optic sights here is what i did.

i went to wal-mart and bought different colors of fingernail polish.

take your wife or girlfriend with you or you will get funny looks in that dept. :rotf:

you can get BRIGHT KIDS colors.

some are bright pink, red, green etc.

some are called GLOW PAINTS.

i took home 4 bottles for around 3 dollars each.

i tried colors and settled on GLOW GREEN.

i then took the bottles back to wal-mart and asked if i could return them as i did not like other colors, they said it was ok.

most of time, if your are not color blind, the GLOW GREEN one works great.

these kids colors are real bright on fingernail polish.

i also paint my bass lures after getting knicked up with fingernail polish in diffferent colors.

sproulman said:
very good idea.

before i got my fiber optic sights here is what i did.

i went to wal-mart and bought different colors of fingernail polish.

take your wife or girlfriend with you or you will get funny looks in that dept. :rotf:

you can get BRIGHT KIDS colors.

some are bright pink, red, green etc.

some are called GLOW PAINTS.

i took home 4 bottles for around 3 dollars each.

i tried colors and settled on GLOW GREEN.

i then took the bottles back to wal-mart and asked if i could return them as i did not like other colors, they said it was ok.

most of time, if your are not color blind, the GLOW GREEN one works great.

these kids colors are real bright on fingernail polish.

i also paint my bass lures after getting knicked up with fingernail polish in diffferent colors.

okay, the fishing lure idea is just plain smart. i'll keep that one in the tackle box, right next to the salted hotdogs.

not a bad idea for touching up your gunsights, either, with the high contrast paint. it's also really durable.

i' will the lyman front site. got mine paint silver. the tip of the site is red don't help :thumbsup: thanks fore the help WORM :barf: :shocked2: will try to find neon green

I guess the question is wether you are a traditional shooter or a modern (wanna-Be)

Dont know about wanna-bes I guess anything goes.
But traditionally Rifles had very small sights. You want a sight as small as possable. How long it is doesent matter. It just needs to be long enough to be solid. Mine is 3/16" long
I had the same trouble with sight picture. I went to a silver sight and it works well for me.

I use a brass sight. When I'm sitting on stand the last hour or so before the sun goes down, I rub the inside (height) part of the sight with my thumb a few times. I wear gloves that have a suede leather outer lining over the fingers and palm, so rubbing the part of the sight I see when I line up the sights with leather on my thumb, shines it up a bit.

Wait about 10 more years and that silver sight is gonna go too. If you wish to continue shooting you may find yourself amongst your so-called wanna-be's. :shake: Advancing age has a way of changing things for people. God forbid you never suffer anything that makes you have to alter the way you shoot. Oh wait I forgot you are living on the left coast in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia and that will probably end your shooting long before age and failing eyesight becomes a factor.

I found the original sight on my LGP to work well once I thinned it down so bit of daylight showed on both sides when looking thru the rear sight. it does not hurt to add a bit of light color to the rear face of the front sight as well.

great plains said:
looking at a front site fore a lyman GP will the site that lyman sells look stupid on this gun??? i' missed a deer this past hunt season :redface: cannot see the front site :shocked2: should i' go with a silver front site??? will the silver show up good right at dark???

I put the Lyman "hunting sights" on my GPR. The white front bead shows up very well in the woods.

Well I guess my eyes have made me a wannabe. I have been having trouble the last couple years early morning and early evening seeing the front sight.I tried the white on the face of the sight did not seem to do much. My son suggested the fiber optics I did not want to go that way. for x-mas he bought me a set so I put them on sighted her in and it was like magic . got a doe 2 days latter at last light when I usually would have been walking to the house. So for me its kinda like Wannabe young again.

very true.

i had to go to a RMC v-peep to see my front sights.

here is great thing , i did.

i ordered at .50 POWER READING GLASSES.

that made a big difference on seeing sights near dark or in daylight too.

they work fine on seeing a deer too,not blurry at all.

20 years ago started the failing sight scenario. Went thru the cheater readers and Merit Optical Disc then graduated bifocals and not shooting iron sights (suppository gun w/ Leupold). 1st thing ea morning was put on the glasses and last thing at night was take them off.

6 Months ago I went to an Opthamologist instead of an optometrist. Had cataract surgery - at 61 I am 42 again. Deductible was less than I had been paying for the graduated bifocals. Now carry cheater readers for small close up stuff and shooting open sights with out correction. Took a nice 8 pt w/ the .40 flinter at 65 yards this past season - no glasses.
TC

I too put the Lyman hunting sights on my Trade rifle and think they are the answer. I have shot a lot of whitetails with my old Deerstalker wearing those sights and and now 2 big does with the newer Trade rifle. At 53 I am too young to give up shooting open sights and too blind to use traditional ones.

Getting old or even being born with poor eyes (worse)isn't fun. Now at 61, I am putting peep sights on all my traditional rifles. With the peep sights, I can see the front sight with my normal glasses. In a few years I may have to mount my truck battery to my rifle to light up the front sight, but for now I think I'm good to go.

when uncle sam sends me my income tax check i'will get the lyman front site :thumbsup: the place i' work fore is laid off over 100 people in the last year :redface: :redface: like to get a lyman deer stalker :( thanks WORM

if someone would invent a real fine lighted front sight ,they would sell a ton of those.

but they got to be fine,not big lighted sight.

that would be something.

i moved my RMC V-PEEP back in front of frizzen and its great.

with my .50 power reading glasses,i am now back to open sights again.

going to get the lyman front sight.. thanking of getting a 2 sight looking on track web site they have so many.http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(rgtkce55tmraipugj1alyt45))/imgPart/FS-TC-CB-TH_1.jpg dont no what to buy??? brass- silver high- low http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(rgtkce55tmraipugj1alyt45))/imgPart/fs-tc-lb_1.jpg here is 2 of them i'am looking at..they have them in 50" and 80" thick.. going to call them monday and see what they say.. should know more about it then me :rotf: any idea's thanks WORM

Last edited by a moderator:
Back