• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

frosty steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll only get condensation if there is enough moisture in the air to condense. I plug the touch hole with a round toothpick and stand the rifle in a corner, muzzle DOWN. That reminds me that the rifle is LOADED and IF there is any condensation, it can run out the muzzle.

I hunted with my .62 multiple days beginning November 2015, and it was brought inside every time, transported in a soft case when in a vehicle, etc. The toothpick remained in the vent as a reminder that it was loaded, and to keep moisture out. I didn't shoot that rifle until mid November 2106 when I had been out hunting several days, and the big buck finally appeared. The rifle fired instantly, and the result was as desired. Admittedly, I DID pick the charge prior to priming. I reloaded in case a "finisher" was needed, but the rifle remained loaded (dirty) for 5 more days (I HAD wiped the lock/pan/barrel clean before transporting). I checked the bore condition prior to firing the charge and all appeared normal. There was no evidence of rust while cleaning. It appears that mink oil did its job. :thumbsup:

I think you have been lucky with dry conditions because I know of no protect-ant that can do it's job with black powder fouling mixed in.

Back