• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

frosty steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinemarten

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Out at camp this weekend for Michigan muzzleloader season. Its close to zero degrees F and I am staying out at our camp in the U.P. I hunted Friday evening until dark and then walked back to camp in the dark. On several occasions grouse exploded out of their snowy beds into the moonlite sky giving me nary a heart attack. I wasn't sure what to do with my loaded flinter when I returned to the warm cabin. I hear someplace that to bring it in might cause moisture to condense in the cold barrel. I put it out in my cold truck with a toothpick stuck in the vent hole. Next day, I brought it in to adjust the flint; it turned white with wet frost!!! ....what is the best way to handle cold loaded steel? Leave it in the cold?

Dan

I agree that the best way would be to shoot and clean and start anew...BUT, my camp is without running water and just candle light. Hard to do the 'OCD' style cleaning I do when at home. I could do a less intense cleaning with just rags and alcohol swabs. It isn't much above freezing in the cabin. Would be easiest to keep the rifle out where its cold until the 2-3 days at camp are over. I have heard of putting a feather in the touch hole...(?) Just could n't believe how wet and frosty she got when I brung her in for 5 minutes to adjust flint!!!

Dan

Yes, keep it in the cold while at camp. The instantaneous change from very cold to very warm will cause your steel to dampen from condensation....which in turn can cause your powder charge to get moisture in it and not fire off. I also keep my caps much the same way. I look at it this way, if my glasses fog up when I come in from the outdoors, then my rifle stays out in my vehicle, or in the garage while loaded during hunting season.

Exactly what I have done for the past couple days hunting in quite cold conditions and the percussion Thompson Renegade fired perfectly each time.

I have stored mine cold for up to 3 weeks at a stint. With a cap gun, and unsure of what 3 weeks has done to the main charge, I've unscrewed the nipple and pinched a few fresh grains down into the hole. Just to be sure.
Went off for a long overdue kill shot like the day it was loaded when presented an opportunity.

I see how the moisture in the warm air of a cabin condenses on the cold metal, but I don't know if it would affect the charge. If it is sealed with greased patch and a feather or something stuck in the vent, there is no moist air to condense within the charge. I guess it could get inside the rest of the barrel and seep around the ball eventually...

Dan

While you are at your cabin in the north woods, it is the perfect time to experiment and make your own conclusions...

I can tell you one thing for sure from experience... when you come inside from the cold immediately remove the gun from a case...if a gun is allowed to sit in a case and "frost" it will rust for sure....

pinemarten said:
Would be easiest to keep the rifle out where its cold until the 2-3 days at camp are over. I have heard of putting a feather in the touch hole...
Agreed, we do exactly that every Winter during the PA flintlock season between Xmas & New Years. No issues & they always go BANG when they need to!

Kept the rifle outside for 3 days and finally shot her this afternoon so I could clean it and put it back on the wall. Fired no problem. I just put a feather in the touch hole at the end of each day. I noticed when I carried it with my wool mittens, it would make a frosty hand imprint after awhile under my mitten...must have been the warm moisture from my hand. I am not sure if things would have been ok with the gun warming up inside each evening or not...didn't want to experiment when I was hunting.

Dan

The trick is to keep circulating air OFF OF IT while it comes up to temperature indoors.
I recommend wrapping it in colonial plastic bags.
Seriously, condensate is bad news.

Actually you are dang close. When I've had to bring a loaded rifle inside during cold hunting seasons, I've started wrapping it in a heavy wool blanket that I keep outside for that purpose. It insulates the cold steel and allows it to slowly warm up to room temp without condensation. It takes an hour or so. Has worked every time for me without a hitch, charge went right off. The wool still breathes, so rust has not been an issue. Just my solution, your mileage may vary.

I just leave them in the gun case, bring them inside and do not open the case for about two hours.
They warm up slowly and condensation does not form on them when the case is finally opened.
I compete all winter long here in Alaska and do this cold weather gun case thing every month.

Latest posts

Back