• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Future of the sport...?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And oh and by the way I'd like to be know as an elitest like the fighting Green Berets, Navy Seals, and the Air Bornes Rangers were! Rogers Rangers now they were an elite fighting force!!!

Indeed! They all are and were! :applause: :thumbsup: :redthumb:

I don't care "what" I'm called either,... as long as "traditionalist" is part of the label!!

rollingb,

The more I read, the more I like your style! But given what I do in my spare time, I prefer the "label" Historian ... :thumbsup:

And that's my final take on this thread - gotta' leave for Phoenix in about 20 minutes and can't get there if I'm sittin' here flappin' my gums! (er, fingers!)

...The Kansan...

My American Century Dictionary says; best, or select group, or class...

I take this to mean for example, the; Masons, Marines, Army, Navy, Airforce, Coast Guard, Buckskinners, Gun Builders, Teachers, Doctors, Brick Layers, Piano Players, High Power Bench Shooters, NSSA Members, NRA Members, NMLRA Members, the list goes on and on... We are all part of some elite group whether you know it or not...

There's nothing wrong with belonging and doing your best to become the best at what you do... As I said, there are no high or low marks, only what you make of what you do...

If you want to staddle the fence, then straddle the fence. Don't turn your nose down at those who chose to, and choose now to be, part of elite group's that formed and fought for our country, and those who teach us, and heal us, and those who take the time to try and provide something that is unique that all can enjoy if they so desire. Just because it might be traditional doesn't make it bad...

well said joe :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:we are all elitest in our own right by how we feel about our favorite sport .as a matter of fact i am thrilled when my youngins watch me shoot their future ml,s and ask me to do it again. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm wonder'n if inlines are more compatable with youngsters, then maybe sumpthin like Lyman's Trade rifle, Tradition's Hawken, and etc.??

YMHS
rollingb

I am a traditionalist but we have to remember guys, that whatever we think we are there are two times as many people who just look at all of us and say "Another Gun Nut" :curse:

I agree with whoever said that we must stick together. Within the sport let their be separation, but united we must stand as gun owners.

By the way, it sucks to here that Walmart is not carrying the traditional style MLs anymore. :: They only carry inlines having just dropped the GPR from the shelves. This doesn't help our cause of saving tradition. They claim they just aren't selling. I think we traditionalists need to take a different approach on selling our sport. Most people from what I here, seem to think that if they go traditional that the clothes and the attitude have to go with it. Lets take it one step at a time and just get the sidelocks into the hands of folks. Somehow it would be nice to get Walmart back on track with having at least one traditional ml for people to choose from, they the biggest company in the world. :m2c:

Don't get me wrong guys, I just have not been keen on labeling myself with a title of any kind.

I don't care "what" I'm called either,... as long as "traditionalist" is part of the label!! :haha: :haha: :thumbsup:

YMHS
rollingb

Ya forgot ta add "Late fer supper"...don't ever wanna be called that! :haha: :haha:

While at the KMA convention this year it really struck me how few younger folks are coming into the Traditional muzzleloading/buckskinning sport.Shoot,I'm 50 and felt like a kid there.Both clubs that I belong to try to have youth events and such but it appears to me that the younger folks just are'nt coming into the sport.It would be nice to see more younger families joining us.Any thoughts folks...?

Anyhow, to Paul's question that started this thread before it got hijacked...my response / thought is:

I agree.

Brokenlieg
You shot that one plumb center. :master: :applause: :RO:
Wil

I never interpreted this thread and post as evolving into an Inline versus Traditional ML debate.

The question was/is "Looks like the numbers of folks at traditional get together as well as the number of younger participants are diminishing?" "What about the future of the sport?".

I've seen some really super feedback in this thread from folks that have the right ideas about getting more folks involved. Also some really positive attitudes and responses which will be key in terms of getting more folks involved with historically styled weapons and possibly traditional practices.

Well done folks! Keep charging!

Perhaps if everyone that cares could take responsibility to introduce at least one new person to muzzleloading/shooting of an older styled weapons, that might also help change things to get more folks involved?

A sort of "Adopt a Newbie" campaign. :)

:peace:

WOW!!!!
What great idea! So here it goes. I challange all of you good folks out there to recruit atleast one new person into thi hobby. :results: If all of us get one that ought fix the problem. And let evreyone know how your doing.
Wil

"History preserved, though knowledge shared"

And - to add to what was just said about recruiting ... WHAT IF - every time you or I walk into WallyWord or other superstores - we ask to see their line of sidelocks? Isn't that how demand is created? AND - of course, we would need to actually purchase a sidelock - and then plan on giving it to the young man/woman whom we are recruiting and mentoring in the sport. Would that strategy help to further the future of the sport?
:hmm:

And - to add to what was just said about recruiting ... WHAT IF - every time you or I walk into WallyWord or other superstores - we ask to see their line of sidelocks? Isn't that how demand is created? AND - of course, we would need to actually purchase a sidelock - and then plan on giving it to the young man/woman whom we are recruiting and mentoring in the sport. Would that strategy help to further the future of the sport?
:hmm:

IMO, an Email to their corporate HQ MIGHT get read, but asking a minimum wage counter clerk at wally world won't get it done

OK - good point. So cover all the bases: Ask the clerk, ask to talk to the manager AND send an e-mail to the HQ.
Tell them you are interested in these kinds of guns. Tell them you have a lot of friends who are, etc.

Here's an idea that goes one step further,
For all you shooters who belong to a BP club... sponsor a black powder camp/class for the kids and families. It's a lot of work but the results can be well worth it!

Smokeydays

Smokeydays,.... Thet's a good idea, and I hope once the TMA is organized, we'll see sumpthin simular on a "national level"!!

YMHS
rollingb

Here's an idea that goes one step further,
For all you shooters who belong to a BP club... sponsor a black powder camp/class for the kids and families. It's a lot of work but the results can be well worth it!

Smokeydays

Don't want to rain on your parade,,,but watch for litigation.

My little brother is a lawyer and I built him a rifle for passing the bar. He is one very gung-ho individual when it comes to BP...got him hooked!!!

Blahman,
That's fear we live in in any endevor. And of course safety is of the utmost concern...as is making sure we have currently paid up insurance with appropriate event riders.

Smokeydays

Blahman,
That's fear we live in in any endevor. And of course safety is of the utmost concern...as is making sure we have currently paid up insurance with appropriate event riders.

Smokeydays

I heard on the news about some teacher, think it was in Florida, teching his chemistry pupils about explosives...I gues the guy had some black powder....wellllll, he made some stuff go BOOM!

Guess he's in trouble with the school board...gonna discipline the guy....

The teacher was showing, by way of demonstration, how chemicals (black powder) react under certain circumstances. Do you think that such notice would be given if he mixed something like bleach and amonia, or something more "common"?

That's what I meant by the term "litigation". Just be carefull, that's all.

Reminds me of the time a subsitute chemistry teacher wanted to drop a pound of pure Na, sodium in 500ml of h2o, water. Me and several other inelligent students headed for the nearest exit. He decided maybe it wasn't the wisest idea for a demonstration of a chemical reaction. Just glad the fool didn't find the willie pete, White Phosphurus!

Well that has happened before, but whats worse is that an old chemistry teacher of mine claimed his old chemistry proffessor in college taught his classes how to make different opium/cocaine type drugs in class.

Back