• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going Hunting for First Time, Flintlock a good idea?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenHawken

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I plan to get into hunting this year with an experienced friend. I would LOVE to use my flintlock to take a deer. Is a flintlock a good gun for a newbie hunter? I'm not new to guns at all.

Why not? If you're new to hunting, then you really don't have anything to compare it to. When you see a deer that's too far away, you know you either need to get closer, or pass him up. There won't be any, "Oh, if I only had my scoped '06, I could have killed that deer ten times! Why did I bring this stupid flintlock?". Hunting with a flintlock will be your only definition of hunting.

Just remember the importance of practice, practice, practice. Good luck. Bill

My very first 'real' gun was a flintlock. As long as you are familiar with your gun (ie have shot it a lot) and understand its possibilities and limitations there's no reason not to go hunting with it. :thumbsup:

Shoot that gun A LOT!

Shoot over the summer every couple weeks if possible. More if you can.

Shoot off your knee. Shoot long shots. Shoot close shots.

Shoot, Shoot, Shoot.

Be Familiar with your gun. Be at ease with odd shot angles.

This will make you more calm when the "stuff" starts to hit the fan!

You don't want to wonder if you can make that shot. You want to KNOW you can make that shot!

Confidence is a wonderful thing in a shooter.

Greg

The first deer I ever killed was with a flintlock. I don't see why you shouldn't take it. Just expect to take a ribbing from the other guys if they're all shooting moderns. Ignore them, of course. :grin:

For centuries many had their first hunt with flintlocks.I don't see how that can be a problem, it's been done thousands of times.
Have a nice hunt :thumbsup:

Gregory nailed it in one.

If you're confident in your rifle, if you know where it will hit, and at what range, if you're well practiced, you'll be fine.

Don't do like my co- worker did last season. He came up to me at the end of last season and asked if I knew anything about flintlocks, and when I said that I did, he regaled me with his tale of woe about how he'd spent all this money and they were no XXXXing good and so on. Come to find out out that he hadn't even bothered to clean it: he just took it out of the box, took it into the woods, loaded it up and tried to but a hole in Bambi.

When I told him that they required a bit of practice, and that you had to get them tuned up, and that this was considered part of the fun, and that I'd be more than happy to show him how to do this, he looked at me like I was nuts.

Make good smoke!

My first deer (and quite a few in subsequent years) was with a compound bow. After about 6 years, I shot a few with scoped centerfire rifles and the "experience of the hunt" just didn't compare.

Now, all I hunt with are flintlocks (rifle and fowlers) and longbows (laminated and self bow). I haven't taken as many deer, but the ones I have taken have been much more rewarding.

So... to the original post I say, go for it! :thumbsup:

Once you can make your flintlock fire first time and every time and have practiced at different ranges then take it out hunting and have fun.

I have killed Deer with Center fire rifles, Pistols, Inline Muzzleloaders and have taken the Flint Lock out the last couple of times.

When the other hunters look at my Flint Lock and start asking or commenting on if it will fire I pull out a $100.00 dollar bill and tell them to put up or shut up.
I havent had any takers yet.

Flintlocks were state of the art firearms technology for hundreds of years. Nothing else in firearms innovation has lasted so long. Early American pioneers shot whitetailed deer into near extinction with flintlocks. If you know how to load the gun and keep the lock in tune, you don't lose much.

No reason not to if you have a quality well made gun that is reliable and accurate.

Back