• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goose hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Anyone here ever hunted geese with their flintlock? I am looking to maybe use my 16 gauge on them if I get any opportunities this fall. Another important question...I have had wild goose once, in sausage form, and it was delicious. You hear a bunch of people saying that geese are terrible eating unless special care is taken. How do you guys prepare/cook yours? Thanks! -Larry

Jerky, poppers or sausage. All great ways to eat geese.
Very important to clean the feathers and shot out of any shotholes in the meat. You’ll be surprised at how big of feathers can be hidden in there!
Walk

Corned, then slow cooker,let cool slice thin makes a good sandwich on rye with a bit of good stone ground mustard.

Meatloaf. Ground up with herbs and black pepper. A little amount of onion.
20141022203618.jpg

Thems geese in the photo but I didn't get one.

We soak the breast in milk or buttercream for 24-hours. Manually tenderize/aerate. Coat with grape jelly and sear slightly on each side. Add copious amounts of tabasco sauce and cook until there is no "vinegar" odor. Add more. About 3-times altogether. You are burning off the tabasco and it will not be hot/spicy but the meat will relax and soften quite a bit. In the last minute of time in the pan, add worcestershire sauce and finish with your favorite steak sauce or horseradish.

Hello everyone. Anyone here ever hunted geese with their flintlock? I am looking to maybe use my 16 gauge on them if I get any opportunities this fall. Another important question...I have had wild goose once, in sausage form, and it was delicious. You hear a bunch of people saying that geese are terrible eating unless special care is taken. How do you guys prepare/cook yours? Thanks! -Larry
Unless you are shooting very close over decoys a 16 bore is too light , the larger size such has a 10 bore would be better has this is the largest you can use. Here in the UK we use the bigger bores such has 8 up to a 4 bore which is mainly for flight shooting when geese are flying to their feeding grounds These I think are the best type of goose shooting and are known has a evening and a morning flight . When you hear them call in the twilight the adrenal starts to run more so when they are getting closer till they are 40 to 50 yards above your head and the big 4 bore belch out smoke and you hear one goose bang on the ground , it is a feeling you never forget although you may be cold a wet .
Feltwad
P1010005.JPG

Unless you are shooting very close over decoys a 16 bore is too light , the larger size such has a 10 bore would be better has this is the largest you can use. Here in the UK we use the bigger bores such has 8 up to a 4 bore which is mainly for flight shooting when geese are flying to their feeding grounds These I think are the best type of goose shooting and are known has a evening and a morning flight . When you hear them call in the twilight the adrenal starts to run more so when they are getting closer till they are 40 to 50 yards above your head and the big 4 bore belch out smoke and you hear one goose bang on the ground , it is a feeling you never forget although you may be cold a wet .
FeltwadView attachment 91525
I was wondering about the 16 being light... May have to get a 10 gauge haha. The added benefit being I could load a roundball to kill mammoths.

Skin the breast meat out, that gets rid of the bitter oils in the skin. Bake in the oven until barely done, you might cover the pan with aluminum foil, and put a little water or red wine in the pan. Serve with yellow mustard.

How to cook a Canada goose outdoors. First , kill a goose. Skin goose. Marinate goose in Italian salad dressing and one shot of cooking whiskey , over night in fridge.. Put goose in new chicken wire , and hang the bird in the chicken wire on the edge of a moderate wood fire , with a black iron skillet under it to catch the drippings. Put a swivel in the chain/wire the bird hangs from , so a new side can be turned to face the heat about every 45 min.. . When you turn the bird , bast it w/ some drippings from the pan. If the bird is around 10 lb dressed , start it about 10 am. Should be ready to eat by 4 PM. This is a good way to fix geese , 'cause ya can go shootin ' or whatever for the 45 min's between turning the bird. There's little waste 'cause the whole bird is cooked. This makes the meat taste like tender roast beef. Really good............oldwood

Listen, Saskatchewan born into a multi generation waterfowl family. I killed a thousand or more geese with a .410 (over decoys). Pass shooting, as I was brought up, was for those of questionable ethics. 20-40 yds was the danger zone! Your 16 is plenty.
Walk
I once took a Canada with a 410.
Hell of a shot. Fast and low to my right. I flicked the little double through one of them and it's head and neck flopped back. 25yds or so iirc.
I remember on inspection about 9 #7 holes in its neck from my 1/2oz reload!
It was a long time ago and before anyone told me it won't work!

Listen, Saskatchewan born into a multi generation waterfowl family. I killed a thousand or more geese with a .410 (over decoys). Pass shooting, as I was brought up, was for those of questionable ethics. 20-40 yds was the danger zone! Your 16 is plenty.
Walk
Yes it can be done with a modern 410 nitro using 3 inch cartridges but it is always best too have a good dog to pick up the runners .
Feltwad

An easy way my family likes them is simply to breast out the goose and place one in a crock pot with either a packet of pot roast seasoning or barbeque sauce. Cook for 6-8 hours until it can fall apart . . shred it with a fork like pulled pork.

Feltwad.............Back when I was a teen ager , 1960"s. each year we used to go to the Pa. Blame Comm.'s Pymatuming Goose hunting area in N.W. Pa.. Ya had to send in and enter a lottery to get to hunt there. Vast cornfields w/prepared blinds , etc. , maybe 3 tenths of mile apart , w/ 4 guys per blind. Rule was 10 shells per hunter. One guy always went with us was John. John , I considered a rich guy. He was a Mine foreman , always big cigar and very funny and entertaining fellow. He was a big guy with a 10 ga.mag. sbs double. On "blue bird " days , (bright and sunny , cloudless) , john was the only guy who got the high flying geese. When he would "sky bust " one , being the dog that would chase the goose down at age 13 , I marveled at how far away a goose would fall and hit the ground. Days like that , I knew I wouldn't go home w/ a goose using my old hand-me-down 12 ga. pump.
However , on damp cloudy days , a different story. Dad and I were trap shooters and I could shoot pretty good , so w/ my 10 shots , I could put enough lead in the sky that some poor Canada goose might fly into the cloud of bb's. We did get low flying geese when the sky was grey. Thanks for sharing your experiences while hunting geese. Gotts love this stuff.....................oldwood

Ha ha Shot high up Canada geese uk. My brother said they we shooting high up geese with a percussion 4 bore...reconds he hit one , it was on a national trust lease ...the following day the manager of NT local phoned to say did you shoot any geese yesterday Well no 😮😮😮😮😮😮. what's all this about?????? my brother did hit one it seems and it flew on another 3 miles only to crash from the skies , right through a posh conservatory glass roof landing on the dining table of guests eating their Sunday roast...yes its true 😳😳😳😳😳. you could not make up a story like that.

Back