• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my GPR today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
midsouth immediately told me they would send the paperwork to exchange it no argument or anything.

I was/am well satisfied with their response and service so far.

I will let you know the "rest of the story" after I get the next one.

A good friend of mine in Vermont bought his at Midsouth a long time ago and told me his barrel fit perfectly.

He did say he had to add oil to the stock finish can any of you recommend the best way to do that.

Here's something to consider, and it makes total sense... I spoke with Lyman regarding the barrel to stock fit. The tech rep I spoke with said that the barrel is not intended to simply lay perfectly in the recess of the stock. He said that the tension created by a 1/8 - 1/4 offset aids in keeping the wedges snug. He said without any tension the barrel would lie in the stock perfectly and the wedges would fall our much more easily.

If you are cynical you may think the explanation is designed to respond to poor fit and finish. From an engineering standpoint his explanation makes sense. What's more, when they receive returns from distributors with this issue/complaint they usually repackage them and send them back to distributors. It sounds like there is a pretty good probability that you will receive a gun with a varying degree of the same characteristic.

Keep us posted.

My TC renegade dropped right in and the wedge never was loose. Same with my buddies TC hawken.

We will see I guess I will keep you all posted.

My GPR .54 drops right in and is a great fit. My only problem was that the wedges did get loose on occasion and did drop out. Fixed it with a bit of hammer work and now they fit fine. Great rifle and a hoot to shoot.

Mike

I just got a new barrel for mine today and it requires a squeeze downward into the channel to get the wedges in, after reading this post I'm just gonna go with it, as it came with a new tang drilled for the peep sight and it was the same story! Do any of ya'll gpr owners think this will cause a problem??

-----if you don't have to squeeze down the barrel to get the wedge in --it will fall out--the tension is what keeps the wedge in-----

Thats kinda what I thought but I mentioned it because with the old barrel you didn't have to, Thanks!

Squeezing down would be fine prying the stock over a 1/4 inch to get the barrel channel to line up wasn't for me.

It sure is a good looking rifle... I hate that I have to send it back. Hopefully the next one will be good to go.

I can't wait to start shooting

adirondack46r said:
Here's something to consider, and it makes total sense... I spoke with Lyman regarding the barrel to stock fit. The tech rep I spoke with said that the barrel is not intended to simply lay perfectly in the recess of the stock. He said that the tension created by a 1/8 - 1/4 offset aids in keeping the wedges snug. He said without any tension the barrel would lie in the stock perfectly and the wedges would fall our much more easily.

If you are cynical you may think the explanation is designed to respond to poor fit and finish. From an engineering standpoint his explanation makes sense. What's more, when they receive returns from distributors with this issue/complaint they usually repackage them and send them back to distributors. It sounds like there is a pretty good probability that you will receive a gun with a varying degree of the same characteristic.

Keep us posted.
I'm an engineer, and I'm cynical, like any good engineer should be. And that's a bunch of hooey. Good engineering would not rely on mismatched parts to hold things together.

By the way, I own two GPR's and neither has the 'characteristics' described. While I personally would not have returned the gun for the amount of mismatch he claims, I think it was out of spec and should not have been shipped in the first place. Quality escapes do happen, however.

I agree that Lyman was giving you a bunch of bull-rooney. Stock to barrel mismatch should not be used to hold the barrel pins in place. Baloney! My GPR has a perfect match between barrel and stock and the pins are held in place by down-pressure in the pin lugs. Lyman has excellent customer service and I'm sure they'll make good on their product for you. Keep us posted when you get the new rifle replacement.

In fairness to Lyman, let's assume that it's possible that I misinterpreted what the customer service rep told me. There is a page in their users guide (21 I think) that talks bout the fact that the lug/wedge fit may need to be modified to create a snugger fit.

In the meantime, I also decided to to work with Midsouth to see if they would send me a rifle with a better fitting barrel and they IMMEDIATELY agreed. The guy I worked with even went to the warehouse to examine several rifles and set one aside that was nearly perfect.

Bottom line is that the gun is a great gun, and Midsouth is a great distributor. I am sure the outcome will be very positive for both bobman and me.

Thanks for all your input.

Bobman, be sure to very thoroughly clean all the preservative goop out of the barrel before shooting. It really takes some effort. I had to remove the nipple, stick the breech end in a can of mechanics solvent and pump with patch and rod. Had to change the solvent twice.

White Fox

Welcome to the wonderful world of GPR's.
Love mine. I keep a small leather drawstring pouch with the following in my shooting bag;
Ball puller
Breech Scraper
Extra cleaning jag
Patch puller (just in case it comes off the jag)
1 extra nipple (6 x .75) (Treso)
combo nipple wrench/Pin puller.
All threads should be 10 x 32
I use a T handle Short starter that threads onto the rod for pulling balls.

Not yet I was hoping it would show up today if its not here by tomorrow I will call them.

I sent it back on the 23rd and with the holiday I figured it might take a little longer.

adirondack46r said:
what the heck's a breech scraper??
Looks like a giant screwdriver tip. Sized to just fit into the barrel. I use it to clean the breech with a patch.

Thanks for the info guys. Well, I got my GPR replacement from Midsouth today. The barrel fit is excellent. The wedges fit perfect. I'm glad I read this thread (thanks Bobman) and was convinced to exchange the first one I received. I know that in the grand scheme of things the accuracy won't be any different but I feel 100% better about this rifle.

I'm looking forward to working up some loads and dropping a deer or two in Ohio's late ML season come January.

Im in the same boat as you are, got ourselves a "bunk" lyman gpr also, going 'round and 'round with lyman a litle bit, hopefully well get an exchange out of them. At least Mid south stood behind their sale, outfit we got ours from wouldnt, sent us to lyman. congrats to you. Scott

Back