• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR Half cock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barebackjack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello

Andybody else have a GPR out there whos half cock position is more like 1/8 cock?

On mine the half cock position barely clears the cap on the nipple.

Anything a guy can do to fix this?

Thanks

I have a Lyman Trade rifle that fits the description you give. I don't see how it makes much difference as long as the rifle fires fine from the full cock position.

Old Salt

:hmm: Have you taken the hammer off the shaft?
It is possible that the hammer needs to be rotated ccw from where it is now. Also have seen hammers or flats on the shaft rounded so that the hammer is out of position. The only other thing that comes to my mind is the sear may be broken so that it is short or somebody ground it off trying to correct something. Anything is fixable, just got to figure what needs fixing! :grin:

Mine is the same way. I have to put it on full-cock to cap it and then lower the hammer back down and put it on half-cock. Gotta be careful there so you don't slip off and discharge. So far no problems.
I kinda like it that way for hunting. The caps never get scraped off by brush. Some of my other rifles have taller half-cocks and I'm always losing caps in the woods.
I think I'll leave mine alone.

Jethro:< if you are moving fast enough through the woods and brush for anything to knock your cap off your nipple, you should take the cap off the nipple for safety. Certainly, you are moving too fast to be sneaking up on any game animal. And the brush that would be knocking off those caps will telegraph your location to every animal within 200 yds.

Cover your lock with your hand when you carry agun, loaded, and primed for safety. You want to be sure nothing lifts the hammer, the cap, or hits the trigger.

Move much more slowly when going through brush. If you have to go across country, making your own trail, rather than staying on the game trails, point your muzzle in front of you and let it go through tight openings before the rest of your body does. Your hands can easily cover the trigger and trigger guard, and also protect the lock as you go through openings in the brush. I prefer to use game trails, as the local small animals are much more used to other animals, larger than themselve using these trails and are much less excited by movement on them. When anything busts through brush, the alarm signals are sent out by all animals- mammals and birds.

I like it as Jethro's gun as well.My 50cal. GPR is like that. Another good point to this is, if the sear fails, as I had happen on another gun, the hammer will not have enough energy to fire the cap. When I have to fit new hammers to old guns, this is where I set them.

I've had my .54 GPR percussion for over 26 years and it's the same way. Never been a problem. This is more of a "safety noch" than a "half cock". On the flintlocks I've seen, the "half cock" is also not half way. The flints come to rest right next to the frizzen.

GPR is a short form of the famous Lyman/Investarm ML-rifle, the Great Plains Rifle. Seems that nearly everone in this forum has one. :haha:

cowpoke1955 said:
I've had my .54 GPR percussion for over 26 years and it's the same way. Never been a problem. This is more of a "safety noch" than a "half cock". On the flintlocks I've seen, the "half cock" is also not half way. The flints come to rest right next to the frizzen.
Good for my ego to read that.
Not very long ago in a german forum it was discussed what the half cock position is for.
Most of the ML-life in germany only is on the target range and so I got some laughs for my opinion that the half cock position is not only an invention for loading but also was constructed as safty when carrying the gun.

romeoh

My GPR is like that but it isn't a problem. Most of my original antique caplock rifles that I have don't even have a half cock position. I seldom use the halfcock on my GPR or T/C. I don't consider the half cock a "safety" and don't use them as such.

Vielen dank. Sie sollen mit meinem Freund, Kirrmeister, sprechen. Er hat ein GPR. Mein Deutch ist nicht so gut. So lange seit. Ich hattet mit dem BGS gearbeitet, 1976-1978. Viel glueck.

Paul,
I'm really just guessin' that it's the brush knocking 'em off. I just know there's been lots of times when I was squirrel hunting with my crockett, or a couple of other guns, the caps dissappeared. Sometimes several in a row. I know I capped it, then when I check later it's gone.

Some places I hunt are very thick with brush. I figger the caps get pushed off somehow.

Depending on ground conditions cross-country can be just as quiet as a trail.(unless there's lots of multiflora rose :cursing: ) And I have snuck up on many a game animal. I've snuck the closest in thick brush off the trails.

In my best deer hunting spots I actually try to avoid game trails. I think the deer will know when a human has walked down their trail. Spooky deer are harder to hunt.

When I'm sneak hunting squirrels where I don't hunt deer I do keep mostly on the deer trails. Easier walking. :)

My GPR rifle and GPR pistol are not like what you describe. I had a T/C New Englander that had a half cock like that though.

Jim; I use the game trails, but stick with just one, that I don't think the deer will be using to come by the place I will stand. Here's a tip for Not spooking them. Put a couple of drops of Doe-In-Heat scent on the insteps of your shoes or boots( I like to wear rubber boots when the weather permts, simply because rubber lets skin rafts slide off and doesn't hold scent well, UNLESS its applied wet! ) I have had bucks follow my tracks down a trail and walk right up to me standing on the ground, next to a small tree so that the branches help break up my outline. I think getting a buck within 6 feet is close enough for anyone, don't you?

Oh, I also use Baking soda( Good ole' Arm 'N' Hammer) to dust the crotch of my jeans, or insulated coveralls, and the back of my hands, and wrists, to eliminate as much of my scent as possible. The usual scent zone for deer is from the human waste down to the ground. I don't worry quite as much about my neck and head, although when its cold out, I am obviously wearing some kind of hood, which keeps both heat, and skin rafts in my clothes, and not on my trail. A sky mask, or balaclava will protect your face and neck from giving off rafts. Gloves will cover your hands. Between the baking soda, and the Doe-in-heat, you become almost invisible from a scent picture point of perspective.

Well I tore it apart, (mostly out of boredom). I was unable to remove the hammer or tumbler, it almost looks as though the screw that goes through the hammer and tumbler is jb welded or something similar to the tumbler. I torqued as much as I dare without dinging up the screw head and couldnt budge it. (Mind this is with all other internal parts removed including mainspring).

So, guess Ill just keep using it as is.
I just dont like the idea of having to go to full cock to cap it, especially if im showing and letting a rookie shoot it (which happens time to time).

Thanks for the help though guys.

Just make sure the hammer is locked in the full cock position. My future son-in-law has never touched a gun before. I took him out one day with my .54 GPR percussion. After showing him how to load and shoot, he shot all day with no problems. By the way, now he is hooked on muzzle loaders. :thumbsup:

I just shot my newly finished GPR for the first time this weekend and have the same situation on my hands. With a bare nipple, I can engage half cock just barely. With a cap on it, I can only get half cock to catch if I cap it, let the hammer down, and push hard on the hammer to fully seat the cap. I think my nipple diameter might be large or caps just tight, plus the nipple might need to be shortened too. Even then it only catches sometimes. How the heck am I supposed to carry this thing when hunting if half cock doesn't always work? Is it safe to carry it around with the hammer resting right on the cap? I'm not sure I am comfortable with that.
Anthony

Latest posts

Back