• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grease hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall seeing a picture of an original Gillespie (I think) rifle that had a grease hole. It was in the shape of a tear drop with the narrow and shallower end in the direction of the butt. It looked quit attractive and was clearly "spooned" out with a gouge type chisel.

I would do one if I had an SMR. It was done in the day and commonly enough to have been functional.

In the Walter Cline book ‘The Muzzle-Loading Rifle Then and Now’ and the Randal Pierce book ‘Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smoky Mountains’ there are several southern guns with grease holes in the stock. It may not be for everyone, but I like them.

Last edited:
I recall seeing a picture of an original Gillespie (I think) rifle that had a grease hole. It was in the shape of a tear drop with the narrow and shallower end in the direction of the butt. It looked quit attractive and was clearly "spooned" out with a gouge type chisel.

I would do one if I had an SMR. It was done in the day and commonly enough to have been functional.
Indeed. They sure make a SMR look like an original/authentic.

Last edited:
In the Walter Cline book ‘The Muzzle-Loading Rifle Then and Now’ and the Randal Pierce book ‘Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smoky Mountains’ there are several southern guns with grease holes in the stock. It not be for everyone, but I like them.
I do, too. Totally authentic. I filled mine with beeswax as I don't want to actually use it.

In the Walter Cline book ‘The Muzzle-Loading Rifle Then and Now’ and the Randal Pierce book ‘Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smoky Mountains’ there are several southern guns with grease holes in the stock. It not be for everyone, but I like them.
If I had a SMR that I used as a primary squirrel rifle, I wouldn't mind having a grease hole in the stock. I most likely would not use it. Rather I would probably fill it with beeswax instead. However, there's no denying they make a SMR look authentic.

Years ago, the first time I saw a grease hole in a stock was on an old original SMR hanging on a friends cabin wall. I had to ask what that hole was for.

Really, they are CVA’s that the barrels were made for them by Jukar. Now Traditions sells them. It’s fashionable to not call them by what they are and to be cool and call them a Jukar. Kind of like jotos calling a flintlock a rock lock. Ghey.

You could fill it with some kind of whiteish or yellow epoxy and you'd get the aesthetic value if that's what you want without the hassles of grease. Just an idea.

Years ago - a lot of years ago - I had a CVA "Kentucky" .45 caliber, two-piece stock, you all know the one I mean. Percussion, shot pretty good. Because it was a plain rifle and my skills to add anything were and are limited, I added a grease hole to the stock. I used a beeswax based lube to fill it and for protection I simply covered it with a patch when hunting or at the range. Seemed so obvious to me. Worked pretty well too.
Having a Dixie TMR, I love the idea of the patch, so simple, yet it never occurred to me. 🤪

Back