• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

groundhogs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Custom made lehigh, with a 32 cal. 44" swamped "long hammock" barrel, .310 dia ball in a .017" patch, lubed with "moose milk" in front of 30 grains if FFF. No recoil, I try to set up so as to keep most shots within 50 yds. They never knew what hit them :winking:

Big K.

Some of the guys at our club talk of a member, that is no longer a member, that hunted groundhogs with glass marbels in his smoothbore. I dont know the fellow or the particulars but would guess you would get some pretty high velocities and the ball would shatter when hard objects were hit. I am not recomending this just stating some hearsay.

Berk

Back in the early 80's a friend and I each had T/C Seneca 36's. In those early, uninformed days we shot mostly Maxi-balls for woodchucks (PRB for paper and bunnies/squirrels) and the standing rule was to find shots over 100 yards and alternate as shooter/spooter. We used cross sticks (or an MTM Shooters Stick) and connected very occasionally out beyond 200 yards.

Now it's whatever I have in hand when one pops up.

That sounds different. Guess I'll have to find a marble source and a barrel of the correct size. That should get a few strange looks and questions. Sure wouldn't want to try eating anything killed that way.
Fox :thumbsup:

My 50 cal Traditions Pioneer caplock with a patched roundball driven by 35 gr 3f. When I finish my 36 I'll use that.

Rubincan I started with 54max-balls,thenRBs then 50's RB then 45RB then 36RB then 32CvaSquirrel rifle. and Blue ridge 32 flinter is all I use now .20grs 3fff RB does a number on them.A little bit lead, a little bit powder, shoots far and kills dead. Head of Possoum trot hollow. Dilly

rubincam said:
what are your favorite muzzleloaders for groundhogs?

mike_chews.jpg

What???

It loads from the muzzle, right? :winking: :haha:

lehigh said:
TANSTAAFL said:
Loved my .45 rock lock on whistle pigs.
Whistle pigs? you have to be from PA :rotf:
Lehigh...

Nope, yellow-bellied marmots are also called such in AK & WY. Whistle pig hides make the toughest thin leather I have ever seen. Young whistle pigs don't eat too bad neither.

Still got fond flintlock memories from the day we got 20 whistle pigs out of one rock slide on the Pitch Fork ranch in Wyoming back in the 70's.

I have used the 40. cal with PRB with good results. Are you near York? I would enjoy getting out with another of the same gun breed for hoggen
Craig

rubincam said:
what are your favorite muzzleloaders for groundhogs?

I once set a bale of hay on fire with my flintlock while shooting a groundhog during the dry summer months...

The side blast from the barrel set it ablaze, good thing I had to pee... :rotf:

Around here it ain't a real banjo if'n it ain't got a groundhog hide. :rotf: I'm callin' 'em pasture griz, goes better with black powder rifles. My .36 Hopkins and Allen buggy rifle works good on 'em. :winking:

Slamfire said:
Around here it ain't a real banjo if'n it ain't got a groundhog hide. :rotf: I'm callin' 'em pasture griz, goes better with black powder rifles. My .36 Hopkins and Allen buggy rifle works good on 'em. :winking:

Cat makes a better Banjo Head :rotf:

Blue Smoke

Latest posts

Back