• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hair dryer for my muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To each his own......For me and hooked breech rifles I use the old boiling hot soapy water followed with a boiling hot rinse. The barrel [when I'm done] is so hot I have to use gloves to handle it. I tip it with the breech end up for a few seconds and then pass a few dry patches down. What ever moisture is left will evaporate instantly. This is followed by a patch loaded with bore butter [the bore butter melts on contact]. This is the way I was taught by my mentor and has served me well for 14 years. If you use a different method and it works for you, great! there is no wrong way as long as the barrel is shiney & clean...Jim

I own a blow dryer just for my guns and it works great. I use it to displace water I can't get at with a rag and to also blow excess oil out of actions that I again can't get at with a rag. :grin:

Now the origional post asked about making some kind of air funnel to concentrate the airflow. What that will do is slow down the airflow though the dryer causing the heating coils to overheat burning up the dryer or blowing a fuse. (don't ask me how I know)

It works great with trigger groups and locks but the dryer doesn't help much with barrel cleaning.

hornbuilder said:
dances with coyotes :

the best advice i could forward is to quit using hot water or hot anything , clean your barrel with cold water and dry with a patch then lube in your normal way ,, way too much fussing. do we think that the old timers were heating water to clean their gun? we're getting way too high tech for a primitive firearm arn't we ? :hatsoff:
Meh.

I refuse to be "traditional" just because people say I should.

I use the uber-toxic hydroxyl acid (less than a teaspoon will kill you) solvent/industrial chemical (also known as Dihydrogen Monoxide) to clean my Stainless & polymer flintlock. I heat it when I can (avoiding inhaling the vapors), but otherwise I just use it cold.

Why be normal? :blah:

I remember using an electronics heat gun with a funnel attachment in the shop where we used to fabricate wiring harnesses. The funnel attachment came with the gun. It's purpose was to concentrate the hot air on the heat shrink tubing we used to protect and reinforce the harnesses. This attachment didn't harm the gun in any way. I'd guess the business end of the funnel was .36 to .40 cal.

My approach is to get the barrel very hot with boiling rinse water, dry patch it a couple of times, and then draw air through it from the muzzle end with a small vacuum cleaner. You can feel the vac. cleaner hose heat up.

Paul, I'm still wedded to the hot soapy water cleanout method, though I agree it's the boiling hot water that gives the flash rust. The rust doesn't seem to be an issue until the hot boiling rinse is done. It makes me wonder how many times you can create and remove a layer of surface flash rust before the barrel's internal dimensions start to change. I'm thinking of choosing a gun or two and doing only tepid water cleanups on them to see how they fare.

It's the salts that do the damage and they dissolve readily in water of any temperature. The left over carbon and altered hydrocarbons are not really an issue unless they're present in such degree as to trap water or salts next to the barrel steel. If the barrel's reasonably smooth to begin with, a good brushing should address that problem.

My $.02
Bob

Hey ya'll leave that "Slake" guy alone, I don't use a hair dryer for my own hair,,,just started to think about it when I realized that my new barrel wouldn't fit in the oven,,,,,,,think I'll probaly "acquire" one from one of my female relatives.,,never tried it with a cap n' ball though but would work.........but I bet it would force the air through all the nooks and crannies real good.

I have been known to bathe in dihydrogen monoxide at least once a year. Something about something so lethal being so close to my body that makes me feel good all over.

It's great stuff for cleaning muzzleloaders too when mixed with some Oilsoap. :grin:

Zonie said:
I have been known to bathe in dihydrogen monoxide at least once a year. Something about something so lethal being so close to my body that makes me feel good all over.

It's great stuff for cleaning muzzleloaders too when mixed with some Oilsoap. :grin:
Hydroxyl Acid! YAAAY!

Old Ironsights said:
Zonie said:

Hydroxyl Acid! YAAAY!

That's water ol' Zonie is talking about...

dihydrogen monoxide: di (two) Hydrogen + momoxide (one oxygen) H2O

Yep, he bathes once a year, then sells the water as ink in a side business... :rotf:

Musketman said:
Old Ironsights said:
Zonie said:

Hydroxyl Acid! YAAAY!

That's water ol' Zonie is talking about...

dihydrogen monoxide: di (two) Hydrogen + momoxide (one oxygen) H2O

Yep, he bathes once a year, then sells the water as ink in a side business... :rotf:
Hush man. I'm on a mission to get the stuff banned.

Ban Dihydro Monoxide! Evil Corporations pour it into our Lakes and Rivers!

Do it for the Children! :rotf:

Old Ironsights said:
Hush man. I'm on a mission to get the stuff banned.

Ban Dihydro Monoxide! Evil Corporations pour it into our Lakes and Rivers!

Do it for the Children! :rotf:

Besides that, the fish spawn in it... :shocked2:

What was this topic again, something about a hair dryer and Zonie taking his bi-yearly bath... :hmm: :haha:

I also use just luke warm water to clean. When I used hot water I had trouble with flash rust in the barrel. Clean it and dry it with patches, let it sit for a while, another clean patch, then a rust preventing oil.

I clean with water so hot I can't grab my barrel with bare hands.
The flash rust wipes out with 4-5 patches.
When the patches come out clean I apply oil while the barrel is still hot.
I have rifles that have been sitting for six months or more and still have rust free bores.

HD

" and Zonie taking his bi-yearly bath... "

Iffen ah nose anithin, it are 'bout tha "bi" wurd.
It meens thar's moor than un of um an jus tha thout o'gettin that leethal stuff on ma skin moor offen than once a yeer mak's ma skinn krawll.

Hay...get bak har! Ye gots ta pardan mee whil ah goes un gets mi ebbow bak! It's a makin fer tha door. :grin:

I have been wondering about trying to use compressed air to dry the bore out. Either from my compressor or from "canned" air we use for cleaning electronics. If you are not familure with it canned air has a straw like WD40 and could be shot in the touch hole or nipple of a muzzle loader.

Thanks,
Mark

Uncle Pig said:
I have been wondering about trying to use compressed air to dry the bore out. Either from my compressor or from "canned" air we use for cleaning electronics. If you are not familure with it canned air has a straw like WD40 and could be shot in the touch hole or nipple of a muzzle loader.

Thanks,
Mark
I'm fortunate to enjoy that luxury...have a big air compressor in my garage-shop...hooked breech barrels come out of the hot water rinse, hold them muzzle down, hold the rubber tipped air gun against the vent hole, and let it blow for a half a minute, etc...also works good to blow out residual water from under the wedge pin tenon, underrib, sights, etc...best "muzzleloading accutrement" there is :grin:

when drying a hot barrel i blow down the barrel as hard as i can,,,blows any moisture out the vent,,,

roundball said:
I disagree "that a line needs to be drawn" anywhere...new guys with new fresh, creative ideas and questions are great for any hobby/sport.

More power to him and others like him...
:thumbsup:

Yup, roundball and Tony Knight seem to be thinking alot alike. I guess he'll change his psuednyn from "roundball" to "sabot" next.

Cody

P.S. post made in the third person because I'm on roundballs "ignore" list :rotf: :rotf: THAT's just TOO funny :rotf: :rotf:

Back