• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust patch?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Britsmoothy. You might call flash rusting "tarnishing" but it is rust and if left will develop. I do rust blue barrels so understand the process.

A rifle shot with black powder and patched round balls should never need a brush. The fouling is water soluble (I use warm/hot water and a little dish soap) and never have had any reason to brush. If you are shooting lead bullets with no patch and a good lube, you shouldn't have leading. (Why warm/hot water and dish soap? After making your breakfast, try cleaning a greasy pan with cold water and no soap!)

ADK Bigfoot

Update: checked the rifle bore tonight since cleaned and oiled on weekend. NOTHING on patches except the oil I did the barrel with. Even down in the little patent breech. Bore is shiny and clean. Re-oiled and good to go on weekend for shooting.

Soap contains salt.
All soap has salt in it (1970's earlier this wasn't true, water pollution laws did it)
A little salt rusts your barrel a little
Warm water good for washing out grease. Warm water also rusts steel faster than does cold.

Clean you black powder arms with plain cool water.
Dry well and oil, whichever oil you like.

Jim Kelly, Retired Director of Technology, Rolled Alloys. Supplier of specialty heat resistant & corrosion resistant alloys.

Back