• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Has anyone tried to make Wedge keys for barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably something like this. The ‘capture’ pin is placed under or behind the slotted inlay, and goes through the slot in the wedge key. You can just make out the pin in the wedge slot in this photograph.
1631637164798.jpeg
Thanks for that picture. I like this idea better than the pinning in the barrel channel.

Some people do make their lives Difficult..
A piece of Mild Steel about 5/8"x 3/8 three times as long or more than the key"..Mill it or File it
to the thicknes you wont leaveing enough to form the head. Saw slot the required depth aaaand
weld up the end where you don't need the slot.. File the head .. Job Done.. SIMPLEMPELS.. In the Words of the Old Ferret.. ( MEERCATS ENCLODED)

Larry (Omaha) I have the vise, ball peen hammer and the Material. I feel like I a dumber than a post at times, but put the steel in the vise and with the ball peen hammer side, whack the end of the steel down and then shape with a file?

I have the steel cut and I will give it a try at hammering it down on Sunday. Got a rifle match on Saturday to go to!

I make all my rifle wedges out of cheap big box weldable steel and cut it to size with a hacksaw and file. I then clamp it into a vise that has protective jaws with one end extended above the jaws about 1/2". I then take a small ball pein hammer and start to tap on the end of the steel to form the head. This will take some care so as not to form cracks - only heavy enough hammer blows to shape the head - no heat necessary - then file to shape. Saw in the pin slot and do as others have said and place the pin under the escutcheon plate. This should take you about 20 minutes of work. Good luck -.

Back