• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken cap question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought 1000 caps a few years ago at a NSSA meet in VA.(make unknown--- Green box--{made in Italy}) Fired them all up--- great performance-- no missfires (not one) but they are all gone. What would you fellows recommend I try next? I do not target shoot--- only hunting. :thanks:

CCI#11 Magnums have been flawless on my percussions using Hot Shot nipples...was into a second carton of 1000 before I switched to Flintlocks
:front:

I have never used anything but Remington caps on my Lyman's and I have NEVER had a misfire.

Huntin

I had two misfires this past Saturday out of 50 shots with RWS Dynamite Noble caps on my TC Hawken. Left the inside of the cap (yellow powder) clogged in the nipple and had to pick it out. After I use them up I'm going back to the CCI Magnums.

I'm with Rebel on this one... I've never had a problem
with CCI#11 magnums. I will say that i may be a bit
fanatic about cleaning that part of my rifles between
shoots.
snake-eyes :m2c:

Going again this morning to see about more sighting-in and try to find the CCI's. Looks like by majority vote that the CCI #11 magnums are the caps I need to get.
Hope I ain't all bruised up this time :what: after 20 some-odd shots like last time, LOL. At least I am on the paper now, all I have to do is get it to hit the little round spot in the middle :crackup:

Hammerman,
Every barrel and every rifle has to be tweaked
a bit. I have found most barrels settle down between 50
and 100 shots, but i have had barrels that required 200+
shots to perform like i would like them to. :imo:
snake-eyes

Bought 1000 caps a few years ago at a NSSA meet in VA.(make unknown--- Green box--{made in Italy}) Fired them all up--- great performance-- no missfires (not one) but they are all gone. What would you fellows recommend I try next? I do not target shoot--- only hunting. :thanks:

What you should try next? How about the same thing?
RWS Dynamit/Nobel #1075 caps is what you were shooting.

They are excellent. I've shot tens of thousands of the RWS caps since the early 80's with never a misfire because of the cap.

I store my caps and primers in a small US military 50 caliber metal ammunition box. with a sealing gasket. Inside the ammo box I keep a Hydrosorbent Silica Gel Dehumidifier to keep the caps dry.

I keep my powder in 20 and 30MM containers also with the Silica Dehumidifiers.

http://www.dehumidify.com/

:imo:

Went out and cleared a box of maxi-hunters today. Found the CCI's and they were really tight on the nipple, almost too tight to seat. Only one no-fire today.
Last three shots at 50 yds were inside of a one inch pattern :: And on the 100 yrd shots it had a 6 inch drop with a 70 grain charge.

I'm satisfied that I can drop a white tail now instead of whistling one by them :shocking: or worse, winging one and not finding it.(I'm hunting in a forest environment so no looong shots for me)

Thanks guys, your advise has been right on target for me! :RO:

Back