• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HC barrel finish for a 1770s...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is written that Kenton always wore clothing that was brown or tan and never wore bright colors. That’s unusual enough in the time period that it was observed and noted.

So I doubt he had a barrel in the white on his gun, either by design or by choice. But that means others, maybe a lot of others, likely did.

The lack of any notation or written notes in orders for guns or observations of folks guns to me means that there must have been a “normal” standard for barrel finish. I think it’s notable that no one has written “he doesn’t take care of his gun and barrel is brown with rust, eewww.”

On the other hand, the 1803 note above is very relevant…the government, particularly the military, is not an Early Adopter of Anything. I don’t think that has changed in 250 years. So, for an armory to specify Browned barrel finish…it must have been in common use for a long time.

This to me is one of the most fascinating questions of this hobby…and one we will likely never have an answer too.

Back