• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Massachusettes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallguy888

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was given a T/C Arms Cal. 56 SB. I am new to the sport.I havent been able to find any cleaning equipment for a 56 Cal. or havent even heard much about this Cal. Is it an odd weapon?

Welcome to the forum.

.56 is a new one on me. Never heard of one. A 28 gauge is .550 give or take a few thousands. Dixies catalog shows a 26 gauge as being .563 in their proof load listings but who ever heard of a 26 gauge?

The standard calibers above .45 are: .50 (shoots .490-.495 round balls), .54 (shoots .530-.535 round balls), .577 Enfield, .58 (shoots .570-.575 roundball or minie bullets), .69 and .75.

I would suggest you have the bore measured. It most likely is a .54 with a mis-stamped caliber marking.

Back in the early 80's T/C came out with the .56 caliber smoothbore, I believe they were targeting PA and other states that had a "smoothbore only" primative weapons season.

The weapon looked like their Renagade series, no brass and lots of backbone.

It wasn't to many years after that they introduced shot-gun barrels.

To clean it, use the .54 cleaning jag and double patch it, that will take up the remainding .020 and work just fine.

Yes, TC made a .56cal (.28ga) smoothbore...and I'm actually lookig for another .56cal barrel so if you decide to sell yours, let me know, thanks,
Bill
[email protected]

I am not sure of the exact bore size of this TC gun but I think the mold made for it by TC throws a .550 ball, I have one that I use now and then in my .58 trade gun.

where abouts in Mass you from? Im from the south shore and I also shoot a T/C 56SB "Renegade". that gun was designed in the early 80's for massachusetts first muzzleloader seasons which required a smoothbore only but unlike PA we didn't have to have the flintlock. they discontinued it when the law changed and rifled the barrels to come out with the 58cal bigbore and on they went to satisfy the masses. im using a ball mold for a "56" which I think my father bought with the gun from T/C. that gun is a awesome gun I load mine with 90grFF and a .015 with crisco and I get 3" groups at fifty yards. my father also shot alot of grouse and rabbits with that gun, we have wads and shotcards that do say 56cal. so they are out there. if you post again I'll get your e-mail and I'll find you everything you need and let you know where its at.

I'm from Northern Berkshire County. My father bought two of these and gave me one recently when I showed an interest in muzzleloader hunting. He passed recently so now I'm on my own trying to find the components I need. My email is [email protected]. Thanks

I believe it is just a .54 Renegade with the rifling removed which leaves it at groove diameter
of .56. For round balls you should be able to use the same balls and patches as the rifled barrel.
Roundball, I have a new unfired .56 TC barrel if your interested.
Deadeye

I'll e-mail tallguy but for the record or if anyone else might need this info. heres whats in the manual..

.550" dia. pure lead 265gr. no 11 caps.
80grains FFG Muzzle velocity is 1195 FPS
Muzzle energy is 840 Ft.lbs

90 grains FFG Muzzle velocity is 1285 FPS and the Muzzle energy is 972 Ft.lbs

100 grains FFG Muzzle velocity is 1300 FPS and Muzzle energy is 995 Ft.Lbs

for shot: it says this load was developed for the T/C SB renegade and must be used as described.
STEP ONE: set your powder measure to 80 grains of FFG fill with powder and pour in the muzzle. STEP TWO:seat one 56 cal. T/C wad firmly against powder charge.
STEP THREE:Reset your powder measure to 60grains of powder, at this setting the powder measure will hold approximately 7/8 ounces of shot. fill the measure with 6 or 7 1/2 shot and pour down the muzzle.
STEP FOUR: seat one T/C wad firmly against the shot charge. and thats it.

I personly use 28ga cushion wads and over shot cards. and I go 80 grains with the powder and use that same 80 grain measure for the shot. anyway that info. above is from the manual that came with the 56 and might help someone who don't know about the gun.. Ted

Deadeye, thanks, but I just bought a complete like new .56cal smoothbore to get the barrel and just resold the stock a couple days ago...Bill

Back