• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Ohio!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoonbill

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi to all!

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'm 30 years old and have been into muzzleloaders for three or four years now. I started out with a CVA Bobcat in .50 cal. That has turned out to be a damn accurate roundball gun. I've taken three deer with it. Recently, I lucked into an unfired, left-handed (yeah, I'm a southpaw) T/C New Englander that I love as well.

But as of late the bug has hit me for something bigger and something more traditional...which may mean two new guns. Darn the luck!

Anyway, I look forward to learning much from those who have seen it and done it when it comes to these great guns.

Spoonbill

Welcome.

spoonbil.jpg

Have a New Englander myself and it was an under-appreciated firearm. Shotgun/rifle in a handy package . . . mine is a kit-built with nice wood that had some curl, even.

Spoonbill,
welcome to the forum glad to have you with us. it is always nice to have another buckeye in the ranks. where in OH are you located. Glad to here you are coming around to a traditional way of thinking. Lots of good people and loads of information here :imo: hope you will join in and contribute whenever you can.
again welcome and stay active
HAPPY HOLIDAYS
I am snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

Snake Eyes,

I'm in Northern Ohio...right on the banks of Lake Erie. I work for the CMP at Camp Perry. How about you? I'm originally from Missouri, however. I started down the dark path there, but continued it when they told me I had to shoot deer with a shotgun here...so I dug out the muzzleloader and got hooked again. I do most of my hunting with a cousin down in Southern Ohio in the Loveland area.

Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to learning much from the forum!

Dale

Howdy Charlie!

Well, I have only shot the thing a few months, but have yet to find anything it doesn't shoot fairly well. Though the Hornady roundball patched with pillow ticking and lubed with bore butter seems to be what it likes best. Took a nice doe with it a couple weekends ago. I don't have a shotgun barrel for it.

If you have any suggestions about how to make this rifle shoot even better, please share! Thanks for the welcome!

Dale

Spoonbill,
reynoldsburg is a suburb on the e side of columbus. i do almost all my deer hunting around the logan area in parts of the wayne national forrest. great area lots of game and not too many people. they have had some real trophies taken in the area you hunt especially around Xiena.
snake-eyes :thumbsup: :)

If you have any suggestions about how to make this rifle shoot even better, please share!

Boiiiing!
YOU SAID THE SECRET WOID!

youbety2.jpg

Diamond.jpg

:crackup: 2,000 pairs of eyes are rolling because they're getting so sick of me flashing this image around here. This is a 50 yard offhand target I shot recently with my New Englander. .490" ball and 84 gr. Goex FFg using my own moose milk brew applied to .021" cotton ticking and allowed to dry (two dips). Saliva patch wipe between every shot. This is also the load I've been hunting with this fall.

Poke around in "Shooting Accessories" for a gozillion posts on how to make the lube.

Most of my targets are not near that good, but I can usually keep 'em in 2-1/2" at 50 yards standing offhand with my New Englander. When I started battling with it 6" at 50yds was the norm and I was disgusted.

Stumpy,
not to bad for a 5 shot group you are good :crackup: :crackup: :imo:
snake-eyes :hmm: :hmm:

Whats your cousins name and were at in Loveland does he live :hmm:. I was borne and raised there, have a house and land there that I plan to retire to. Hope ya ain't huntin on my land without permission. I'm one mile north of the obannon creek on rt 48 & Baxter lane. :redthumb:

Sniper68,

Never fear, we only hunt on land we have permission to be on. This year, we actually hunted out in the Mt. Orab area.
Otherwise we hunt on his family's place and on the land of friends...as well as out at Stone Lick.

Stumpkiller,

Now THAT'S a nice group! My groups offhand at 50 yards are in the 3-4 inch range right now...but I hope they'll shrink as I get used to the rifle. I'll have to give your lube recipe a try. I have no idea how thick the ticking is that I am using. I DO know that it gives an extremely tight fit. I'm shooting 90 gr of Goex FFG.

Snake Eyes,

Well, my fiance is in veterinary school in Columbus so I am down there a lot. I'll have to check out that area...thanks for the tip!

Spoonbill

Hello Spoonbill, I,m also from Ohio (northern part) Toledo, well realy Holland.
Welcome abord!

This is a great place to be.

Back