• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help dating a cap-lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arilar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This rifle has a German barrel dated 1661 and a converted lock that was originaly produced somewhere 1763-93 (Anders WÃ¥hlberg, Master gun-maker 1763 and died 1793). My question is when the stock is produced ( my guess when convertion to percussion was performed) but need ideas when this can has been done?
IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

Regards,
ARILAR :grin: :thumbsup:

The lock shows the plugged holes for the frizzen spring screw and frizzen screw. The stock may very well be original for it looks much like original flintlock jagers. As for the date of the conversion, an educated guess is about the best I can do. From an historical standpoint, the militaries of the U.S. and most European countries started percussion conversions in the late 1830's (the German's started converting their M.1809 muskets in 1839). The U.S. started a bit earlier and had actually purchased Hall M.1833 percussion carbines in that year for the then new Regiment of Dragoons. The manufacturing of specific percussion rifles and muskets wouldn't start until 1841 (rifles) and 1842 (muskets). I think it's safe to assume that private and commercial makers had started even earlier, say around 1830. Considering this, I'd guess the gun was converted to percussion somewhere in the 1830-1840 era. This is just an educated guess, maybe even uneducated! :)

----------------------------------------

You know, after looking at the stock again I'm beginning to think the stock style is more in keeping with the time of the conversion rather than original to the flint era. I guess I can change my mind!

Plains99 said:
But what a gorgeous rifle! Let's go shoot some Hogs!
Are you crazy! This weapon has never been touched by an unglooved hand!!
IMG_1209.jpg

Just kidding :blah:
Here some more pics.
IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg
IMG_1213.jpg

LeatherMoose said:
Is that massive trigger guard made of horn?
I dont know for sure, have thought about the same thing. Buttplate same material. How to know the difference? Expertice-help needed!!
IMG_1211.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg

to find out if it is Horn, take a needle and heat it up red hot and touch the part in a inconspiquose area. if it smells like burnt hair, its horn. if it smells like plastic its plastic. i learned this from an antique dealer.

I can wear gloves while hog hunting. No problem. A few mesquite scratches will give it character. :winking:

I guess I'll add something else. I really like Jaeger balance and handling. My Dixie is really a pleasure for hunting brush, from the treestand, and in thick woods. This gun really has some nice lines and a beautiful profile. It almost looks too sleek to be as old as that and if it is a flint conversion why the patent breech rather than a drum and bolster? I wonder if the gun was not entirely redesigned from an older model... like a flintlock converted to a caplock then later an entire new rifle built around some original parts. Just a gorgeous piece. added: I guess after careful examination that it is a drum and bolster side mount...obviously not done by some backwoods Missouri gunsmith, huh.

Woo Hoo! Nice piece!

Seems unlikely that someone would make a wood or horn trigger guard in the 1830s, but anything's possible I suppose.

Don't know enough about stocks (especially German) to offer an opinion on the age of the stock.

I've seen a horn buttplate and wooden trigger guards (very German), but not a horn trigger guard. Do let us know if you try the stink test.

Bravo :hatsoff:

That gun is sure in great condition for it's age. The unique stock and barrel give it great lines and the trigger guard is amazing. Could it be ebony perhaps?

If it is ebony, it probably dates the stock to the time of the conversion, rather than as the original stock. By the 1830's, Europe was importing Ebony from East Africa.

Russ T Frizzen said:
Or ebonized hard wood.
This is a close-up from a small portion of the triggerguard. One of few small spots that isnt totaly dark. Proves its wood, right?
IMG_1221.jpg

And this shows noseband out of horn.
IMG_1223.jpg

Any thoughts on the triggerguard?
Regards,

Sure looks like wood to me . As for what kind , I don't have a clue :confused: . Whatever kind of wood it is , it must be extremely durable , or maybe a not so old replacement :hmm: . I love a good mystery . Maybe you can find an expert that can tell you what kind of wood it is .

Ya looks great at 3:30 am in Tex its all " we are working on photo bucket work in ..ect :rotf: Guess Ill try again sometime. fred :hatsoff:

Back