• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vern castle

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Could anyone please tell me the correct name of the screw that holds the cock on the lock.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

To the best of my knowledge it is the Hammer Screw.

It is not a Cock, it is actually called the Hammer.

:thumbsup:

The hammer on a flintlock is listed as a flint cock in Tracks cataloge and the screw that holds it on the tumbler is listed as a tumbler screw.

There is the tumbler or " hammer" screw, that holds the hammer or " cock " to the tumbler, and then there is the Cock Screw that holds the top jaw of the cock to the main body of the cock. The purpose of the cock screw is to allow you to get a firm grasp on the flint as its held in the jaws of the cock.

If you use the term, " Tumbler Screw", most people will know which screw you mean.

If you use the term," Cock Screw ", most people will know you are referring to the screw at the top of the cock.

Tumbler screw is good. The other one is the jaw screw.

In modern retail, everyone knows that hammer and cock are interchangeable. But in "the good old days," the cock held the flint, which struck the battery or hammer to make sparks. :shocked2:

The term frizzen comes in at the end of the flintlock era. So hammer screw would have been something entirely different.

Thanks for that information. I had never heard, or read that before. I checked the terminology published in the Black Powder Notebook by Bob Spenser , where tumbler screw and cock screw are used. Hammer screw is sometimes used in Percussion lock terminology to refer to the Tumbler screw. I suspect that is probably colloquial, or slang, because the Hammer on a percussion lock only has one " screw" ( the tumbler screw) but many percussion shooters have never heard of the term, " tumbler" in association with their locks.
http://members.aye.net/~bspen/flintterm.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Birddog6 said:
To the best of my knowledge it is the Hammer Screw.

It is not a Cock, it is actually called the Hammer.

:thumbsup:
What we know today as the "frizzen" was called the "hammer" or "battery" back in the days of old.
What many tend to call the "hammer" today was known as the "cock" back in the day.

According to The art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrife it is called a cock screw. the screw going into the top jaw of the cock is reffered to a the topjaw screw

I guess it now depends on who is building the lock. :confused:

LockPartsDiagram.jpg

Back