• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with year and twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up a rusty TC .50 today for an old guitar I dident play anymore...any info would be appreciated..especially year and twist...did a pre rust removal because my electro is only 10amp.

Attachments

• 20240820_200519.jpg
    20240820_200519.jpg
    704 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240820_200030.jpg
    20240820_200030.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240820_200021.jpg
    20240820_200021.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
It's probably 1/48, I'm sure somebody will come along and correct me shortly 😂
Right lmao....I built my first awhile back...and this one the riflings are way shallower and "rounder"....idk if it's from usage or made thag way....and I can't find any place to look up the number....I'm thinking about taking the barrel into BassP and having the fine gunsmith look it up

@Hawken1820.50cal, since there was a fire at the T/C factory, there are no records for anyone to look up the serial number. Suggestions such as offered by @TechMoron are about as good a time period as it will get.
Thanx guys....the fact that it's possably as old as I am I'm 43 stokes me good....can't waite to find a full tang sight for it....see what she'll touch....I'm hoping 200+

Might have been replaced, but it appears to be a standard nipple to me too. If @Hawken1820.50cal is planning on using substitute powders, he may be well served by getting on of the nipples that are designed to send more heat to the powder charge such as a Spitfire, Red Hot or Hot Shot sized for a #11 nipple cone.

Might have been replaced, but it appears to be a standard nipple to me too. If @Hawken1820.50cal is planning on using substitute powders, he may be well served by getting on of the nipples that are designed to send more heat to the powder charge such as a Spitfire, Red Hot or Hot Shot sized for a #11 nipple cone.
You won't get a commercial box bizz like BassP or Academy to give you an opinion....but 777 says (on the bottle) I can use 5g of blkP behind thier product 100% safely..as long as I subtract it from primary charge, and the 15% performance boost of 777.....but I was leary of it and talked to a smitty at local hole in wall shop...and after a good ass chewin on using substitute powders (🤣🤣🤣)....he said yes it's absolutely safe.

The issue, @Hawken1820.50cal, is finding the real black powder in small quantities to use as the kick start to ignite the substitute powders. I'm not about to chew anyone out for using the substitute powders as the substitutes may be the only safe powder available in some localities and the user need to understand the limitations and how to work around them. Lately 777 has been saying that 777 powders are for use in the inline muzzleloaders after being used for years in traditional muzzleloaders also. Just keep in mind that 777 has the 15% performance boost when measured out in grains by volume.

The issue, @Hawken1820.50cal, is finding the real black powder in small quantities to use as the kick start to ignite the substitute powders. I'm not about to chew anyone out for using the substitute powders as the substitutes may be the only safe powder available in some localities and the user need to understand the limitations and how to work around them. Lately 777 has been saying that 777 powders are for use in the inline muzzleloaders after being used for years in traditional muzzleloaders also. Just keep in mind that 777 has the 15% performance boost when measured out in
The issue, @Hawken1820.50cal, is finding the real black powder in small quantities to use as the kick start to ignite the substitute powders. I'm not about to chew anyone out for using the substitute powders as the substitutes may be the only safe powder available in some localities and the user need to understand the limitations and how to work around them. Lately 777 has been saying that 777 powders are for use in the inline muzzleloaders after being used for years in traditional muzzleloaders also. Just keep in mind that 777 has the 15% performance boost when measured out in grains by volume.

Last edited:
I think I got it deleted...my apologies to the administrators.
Made my own in college. Worked okay for paper punching with a “horse” pistol. The problem with making your own now is getting ingredients. And then screening it.
No pun intended, but bite the bullet and pay the hazmat fees. I can still buy it from 1 semi-local shop, occasionally. Stocks it for living history shoots. I like 3F Swiss or 3F Triple 7. When I can find it, 4F for my Ruger Old Army. The old Hazard’s Pistol Powder was 4F.

Back