• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HOME RECIPES FOR BROWING OR BLUEING BARREL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bowdawg,
"Firearms Blueing and Browning", by R.H. Angier.
Track has it for about $20.
Regards,
Terry

Most of the older gunsmithing books have recipes for blueing and browning, if it will brown, it will blue, but some formulas are better than others. You also have to remember that alloys of steel are different today than they were in the past and some of the old recipes may not work as well, or at all with todays' steels. Thrre is also the toxic factor, many of these formulas involve chemicals that are not good to work with, and are somewhat expensive. You can brown with plain vinegar, salt, or even perspiration, though the results probably won't be as good as some others, it may be a more historically correct method than a lot of others. I personally won't mess with making these solutions anymore, except for aqua fortis, which is difficult to get anymore for stock stain, I tend to buy a product called Barrel Brown and Degreaser, this is excellent stuff, only mildly toxic, and really does cut through grease, if you still take the time to carefully degrease the metal and use a damp box you will obtain rich lustrous browns and blues that will be the envy of all who see them. Another point to consider is this, we tend to spend a lot of time these days blueing and browning metal parts on our creations, though in the past this probably wasn't done as much as you would think, I believe after research and talking to many knowledgeable people, most colonial arms were left in the white, or charcoal blued, and have over time developed the patina that we admire so much and believe to be brown purposely put there by the gunsmith.

I agree 100% with Alex on his last statement about blueing! We have literally thousands of conversations around the campfire at civil war reenactments about this exact subject. We are a confederate mounted/dismounted cavalry unit (35th Virginia Cav, Coy A and B), and most of the men in these two companies supplied themselves with their own arms until about 1863 being in an irregular/semi regular status until that time.

We extol the virtues of gunsmiths blueing, browning, in the white etc. I feel after some research and pointed questions that most gunsmiths of that era left their barrels in the white, or possibly lightly browned/charcol blued them to keep the rust down. Most of the common rifles and shotguns were sold to not so well to do people. The typical gunsmith would not waste his time and materials making a "presentation grade" firearm unless he had a buyer lined up. Lets face it, the gunsmith made what the people wanted, a cheap reliable firearm without all the fancy bells and whistles! :m2c:

Back