• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade "Bore Butter"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Sefchik

Tennessee Jed
Reaction score
Today , I tried to make me some homemade "Bore Butter" . Using xtra Virgin Olive Oil and Pure Beeswax. Seems to have come out ok !!!

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1258.jpg
    IMG_1258.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1268.jpg
    IMG_1268.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
I found that when I make mine, if I keep stirring it while it cools/solidifies, it gets the consistency of the original. If I let it set in the jar to cool, it gets hard. Someone (don't remember who) told me that adding a small amount of Murphy's oil soap while mixing the wax and oil, it will get "foamy" and be more like the original when cool.

ADK Bigfoot

I found that when I make mine, if I keep stirring it while it cools/solidifies, it gets the consistency of the original. If I let it set in the jar to cool, it gets hard. Someone (don't remember who) told me that adding a small amount of Murphy's oil soap while mixing the wax and oil, it will get "foamy" and be more like the original when cool.

ADK Bigfoot
That does sound like a good idea , I will have to try that next time. I already clean my barrel using Murphy's oil and Baking Soda. That method has worked for me for years. Cheaper than the hoppes stuff and quicker too.

Today , I tried to make me some homemade "Bore Butter" . Using xtra Virgin Olive Oil and Pure Beeswax. Seems to have come out ok !!!
It's really pretty hard to mess up. But leave it me to do so. The other day I discovered all my lube plunger tubes were empty. So I melted a little bit in a metal bowl on the stove. Sucked it up into the plunger. Pulled too hard and the plunger handle came out, splashing hot liquid lube all over the place, including me. Fortunately, hot liquid lube isn't really hot enough to burn skin. But it sure is a b**** to clean up after every little splash has solidified. 😄

Lucky for me, a good friend sent me some real bear oil. I already have some pure bees wax. So, soon it will be experiment time.

I have no complaints whatsoever with TOTW Mink Oil. However, if I can make up a batch of patch lube from bear oil, and then some a little thicker for a conical lube, that’s just as good, then I’ll be using it. That bear oil is some slick stuff.

Being self sufficient is a good thing.

I adjust my oil/wax concentration a little depending on expected temps outside. In summer I use a bit more wax to keep it from being runny like bore butter. As the weather gets colder I use more oil to keep it softer (think peanut butter).

just use mutton tallow, unlike beef or pork it does not go bad (make sure it's salt free)

every time I used bees wax, I would get a hard ring(crud ring)

Back